What's your favorite firewood scrounging saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 562xp is my go to saw for firewood now that I’ve got a 20” bar for it. I was pleased with it for felling and big logs with the 24”, but now I like it even more. I’m used to running a 550xp with a 20” at work, but the 562 is way faster.
Yeah I am liking the 562 w/ 20 inch combo as well. have a new 24 inch lite weight bar for it that I may not ever put on. it cuts fast and no issues in 24 inch wood with it.

Rare Footage of my toolbox Truck Saw-

McCulloch PM700
7cf31d2bc30191d3b9cce2b1ee1e5c02.jpg

b44237b1346ed686096cabf4c75134b0.jpg

MS461R
If it’s much more serious than that, the Work saws are coming along.
bc6a4d75527a7da724b10916084d733b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My area we frequently skid out logs on very steep hillsides with lots of slash and forest debris to trudge through, over and around. Nice wood, but seldom easy pickings. Definitely gets the heart rate up ;)

Bush whacking calls for a powerful yet light saw - I use 346xp, eA4300, and just bought a 261 c-m which is nice and light and even with only a half tank through, this may be my new go-to small saw. All small saws run 16" bars as a longer bar just gets in the way.

Once logs are on landing, I crank up the 562xp with 20" bar running semi skip chain. Bucks through 60' logs with ease.

I'd hate to have to run just 1 saw.

My area we frequently skid out logs on very steep hillsides with lots of slash and forest debris to trudge through, over and around. Nice wood, but seldom easy pickings. Definitely gets the heart rate up ;)

Bush whacking calls for a powerful yet light saw - I use 346xp, eA4300, and just bought a 261 c-m which is nice and light and even with only a half tank through, this may be my new go-to small saw. All small saws run 16" bars as a longer bar just gets in the way.

Once logs are on landing, I crank up the 562xp with 20" bar running semi skip chain. Bucks through 60' logs with ease.

I'd hate to have to run just 1 saw.
Hows the 261, still liking it as much as the 346, don't you have a 550 too.

Hows the 261, still liking it as much as the 346, don't you have a 550 too.

Not a lot more to say about the 261 c-m so far. Only ran 1 tank through it noodling and bucking some rounds in back yard hill. Will get up on the mountain again in the FALL and give it a good workout. So far so good. No 550. was looking at one but went with the 261 c-m

After an unusually rainy July, it's getting hot now. Been taking my time splitting firewood and letting it bake in sun for a week before stacking in shed. Much prefer being on the hill cutting and bucking over splitting and stacking. How'r things in your neck of the woods?

Not a lot more to say about the 261 c-m so far. Only ran 1 tank through it noodling and bucking some rounds in back yard hill. Will get up on the mountain again in the FALL and give it a good workout. So far so good. No 550. was looking at one but went with the 261 c-m

After an unusually rainy July, it's getting hot now. Been taking my time splitting firewood and letting it bake in sun for a week before stacking in shed. Much prefer being on the hill cutting and bucking over splitting and stacking. How'r things in your neck of the woods?
Doing well here, other than the heat, even though its been mild for summer its a bit warmer than I like.
No splitting here in the last couple months, but it should be cooling off soon and I'll do some more.
We've been dry here lately, more like early July weather than Aug.
I ran a few saws last week and got a 576 shipped out west so someone else can enjoy it for some firewood.
Here's a video of it in some seasoned ash, very hard wood and the saw isnt broke in yet, it liked the chain.
Hope you can get out cutting on the hill soon.

Back