Ants in oak.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went up today to assess a defect in a black oak about 30 ft. Up. When I struck the tree I could tell the whole leader was hollow beyond where the defect was visible. Small red and black ants started swarming out of the hollow leader. It looked like water pouring out there was so many of them. They had a nice sting for their size too. I could smell an odor from the nest.
They weren't carpenter any. Too small. Any one know what kind of ants would nest that high up in a hollow. In in nothen calif.

I went up today to assess a defect in a black oak about 30 ft. Up. When I struck the tree I could tell the whole leader was hollow beyond where the defect was visible. Small red and black ants started swarming out of the hollow leader. It looked like water pouring out there was so many of them. They had a nice sting for their size too. I could smell an odor from the nest.
They weren't carpenter any. Too small. Any one know what kind of ants would nest that high up in a hollow. In in nothen calif.
ANTENNA ants?? Couldn't resist
I would like to know myself

You got Piss Ants. The nick name comes from the fact that when they are disturbed they smell like fresh urine. The female workers are slightly red and small. Some say they are really sugar ants. After you have been bit thousands of time you will call them monsters from hell. I once had a tree to be removed from a customers yard. A major part of the tree was hanging over a power line. It looked like it was an easy peasy job until I got to about the 10'' mark and the darn thing came alive. From the 10'' to the base which was about 20'' was all hollow, but filled with ants. I finally strapped ladders to the tree so I could get a little space which made the whole thing more hazardous. One of the hardest jobs I ever did. Thanks

You got Piss Ants. The nick name comes from the fact that when they are disturbed they smell like fresh urine. The female workers are slightly red and small. Some say they are really sugar ants. After you have been bit thousands of time you will call them monsters from hell. I once had a tree to be removed from a customers yard. A major part of the tree was hanging over a power line. It looked like it was an easy peasy job until I got to about the 10'' mark and the darn thing came alive. From the 10'' to the base which was about 20'' was all hollow, but filled with ants. I finally strapped ladders to the tree so I could get a little space which made the whole thing more hazardous. One of the hardest jobs I ever did. Thanks

The home owner decided to remove it. I have to write up a hazardous tree report to the HOA first. I'm not looking forward to removing it. I will be equipped with several cans of ant spray. I'm covered with little welts that was from just hitting on it.. Going to duck for the ground crew also when that ant farm hits the ground.

The home owner decided to remove it. I have to write up a hazardous tree report to the HOA first. I'm not looking forward to removing it. I will be equipped with several cans of ant spray. I'm covered with little welts that was from just hitting on it.. Going to duck for the ground crew also when that ant farm hits the ground.
You might wait to inform the crew til the last moment or they may call in with sprained toenails or something.

Permathrin does a nice job on ant infestations. I heard saw gas is pretty tough on the critters too but just a little flammable.

Back