Ran SP4012 out of diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sstumps

Reaction score
Hi all

Silly mistake on my end. I just bought a used 2013 sp4012 44 hp kubota stump cutter and wasn’t paying attention and ran it out of diesel. I put diesel in but it doesn’t really run right now so I assume there must be air in the lines. Does anyone know how to bleed them to get the air out. I don’t have the engine manual just the grinder one but it doesn’t talk about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You might have to change the filter, how long have you run it and how does it behave?

Sent fra min Nokia 7.1 via Tapatalk

You might have to change the filter, how long have you run it and how does it behave?

It runs for a few then stalls. I can see diesel in the fuel filter. I only put a gallon in just to get it back on the trailer.

H
All I've ever worked on have a priming lever at the lift pump. I turn the engine to where the cam working this pump leaves it released, then work that lever until fuel is coming out of any bleed screw on the filter and injection pump. Then, I hold the throttle wide open and spin the engine while cracking the supply line to each injector. As soon as I see fuel spraying I tighten than line and go to another. By the time I get through most of them, the engine is running. Somewhere along then I put the throttle back to idle or close to it.
Never had any formal training and this may not be exactly correct, but it's been working for me a whole lot of years.
You say yours is running some now so I'd just loosen each line slightly until it clears up and skip the wide open throttle part.
owndo you get to the injector ?
All I've ever worked on have a priming lever at the lift pump. I turn the engine to where the cam working this pump leaves it released, then work that lever until fuel is coming out of any bleed screw on the filter and injection pump. Then, I hold the throttle wide open and spin the engine while cracking the supply line to each injector. As soon as I see fuel spraying I tighten than line and go to another. By the time I get through most of them, the engine is running. Somewhere along then I put the throttle back to idle or close to it.
Never had any formal training and this may not be exactly correct, but it's been working for me a whole lot of years.
You say yours is running some now so I'd just loosen each line slightly until it clears up and skip the wide open throttle part.

How hard is it to get to the injectors ?

It runs for a few then stalls. I can see diesel in the fuel filter. I only put a gallon in just to get it back on the trailer.
My Yanmar instructions start with "Completely fill the fuel tank before bleeding the system. " Then follow the link that moondoggie provided. Most tractor fuel systems will use a simular procedure.

It is also possible that when you ran out of fuel, you got a little trash in the lines from the bottom of the tank. Most the time replacing the fuel filter will solve this but sometimes the lines may need to be blown out.

My Yanmar instructions start with "Completely fill the fuel tank before bleeding the system. " Then follow the link that moondoggie provided. Most tractor fuel systems will use a simular procedure.

It is also possible that when you ran out of fuel, you got a little trash in the lines from the bottom of the tank. Most the time replacing the fuel filter will solve this but sometimes the lines may need to be blown out.
My carlton has a inline clear filter and a spin on.I would fill tank at least half full,change both filters in case you sucked up some crud as mentioned, when changing out the spin on , fill the filter,[prime it] put a little grease or oil on the rubber gasket,motor should pick after cycling a couple times,unless you have a blockage. If it started and ran you shouldn't need to bleed the injectors. Once you get it started run it half throttle. for a while

Give it full throttle and try to start, can take a little time before it get rid of air.

Back