would you get the ms461 or the ms462?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't go wrong with any of those mentioned, I'm still trying to find out where this dealer is, if i can get it tax free coming over from southeast PA i might buy a 461 myself.

I forgot to note-Stihl had some issues with fuel geysering with the 461 back in 2016-2017 or so. Tank vents had problems, fuel got hot and when people went to open their fuel caps fuel would come out under pressure and it lit off in some circumstances. As you might expect, it was a problem in the wildland firefighting community for a few reasons:

1: Hot fuel spraying on a wildland fire is bad. There’s hot stuff everywhere, the occasional open flame, and well, gas plus heat usually equals fire. Quite a few guys got burned. Being burned is bad.
2:The MS 461 is the go to saw for the majority of sawyers right now. Can yiu see how this is causitive?
3: Your other saws you see are some older 044/440s, 046/460s and 066/660s with the oddball crew running smaller Stihls or Husqvarna. They’re all older and out of production, or not widely in use enough to have a wide parts supply. This means there really isn’t a good alternative. The Husqvarna 372 would be my go to alternative but everybody already has Stihl bars and chain, extra needle bearings, yada yada.
4: Did I mention that being burned is bad? Adding to that, not only is the sawyer burned but so is an $1100 saw, a couple hundred bucks between pack/shelter/nomex/helmet and depending on what boots you wear and if they’re damaged a $300-$700 pair of boots.

Anyway, now that I’ve said that piece-those issues have been corrected. Once your warranty runs out, or even before if you don’t care about it being honored, pulling the carb limiter caps, adding an 046 (unlimited) coil and opening up your muffler baffle and outlet hole (leave the screen lest USFS catch you) can really wake an 461 up. At that point, good luck getting a 462 to outwork a 461.

Thanks guys I went with the 461. My thoughts were like mentioned above : i can adjust the carb manually if need be. and since this saw will be discontinued and has a good following if i need to sell it in the future i don't think it will be that hard to do so. This also gives some time for the 462 to prove itself.
Contractor Service in Camden is the shop. They beat everyone's prices from the 6 or so dealers I called.

Thanks guys I went with the 461. My thoughts were like mentioned above : i can adjust the carb manually if need be. and since this saw will be discontinued and has a good following if i need to sell it in the future i don't think it will be that hard to do so. This also gives some time for the 462 to prove itself.
Contractor Service in Camden is the shop. They beat everyone's prices from the 6 or so dealers I called.
thumbnail_IMG_6337.jpg
R version

I've ran about 5 tanks thru it. Cutting some stumps down and a few big beech trees that came down last year. It runs strong. It gets warm for sure. I'm thinking of getting the dual port muffler for it. Any opinions on which brand? I see the Chinese ones on eBay for less than $15. I don't want junk though.

Attachments

• 20190529_061100.jpg
    20190529_061100.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back