Cylinder liner failure?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Tabora

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cleaning up a Husqvarna 42 special that had a blown top end with muriatic acid, and the aluminum transfer is coming off just fine. While I was wiping the aluminum slurry off, I noticed slight delaminations in the lining around what I think are the transger ports. Will this make the cylinder unusable? Both of the little arms on the transfer ports have it.
20190510_151225.jpg 20190510_151229.jpg 20190510_151527.jpg

It's probably been that way for a while, imo run it and you will be fine.

I'm fairly certain I didnt cause it with the muriatic acid. Is it possible that flakes of metal from that seam were the original cause of piston failure?
That is the problem with using acid to clean aluminum transfer off, undermines plating. I would smooth those spots and use sandpaper and WD to remove transfer next time. If it's your saw I would smooth edges and run it. Build for someone else, that can be a ring catcher. Have a few Hyway cylinders with that problem.

The plating in those spots can be fairly thin so it doesn't take much acid exposure. As duce said smooth the edges on the transfers to keep the ring from hanging, this will help keep more plating from coming off too.

To me the transfer ports appear to have black carbon and the shines areas appear to be the plating were it’s clean? Wash the cylinder with hot water and simple green. Then dry and polish the bore with 1500 grit paper but I would start out with a coarser grit paper. They do have wire brushes with 1/8” shanks to possibly get into the transfers to clean them up.

I use muriatic acid a drop at a time on a qtip. Never had it peel plating unless there was already a hole in it. Some of these guys must be dunking their cylinders in it for there to be all these "failures". It just takes a few drops swept over the aluminum streaks to remove it. Needs to sit for a few minutes to give it a chance to work before reappying. I follow it up with 80 grit on the Foredom just to knock off left over ridges and remove any glazing.

I use muriatic acid a drop at a time on a qtip. Never had it peel plating unless there was already a hole in it. Some of these guys must be dunking their cylinders in it for there to be all these "failures". It just takes a few drops swept over the aluminum streaks to remove it. Needs to sit for a few minutes to give it a chance to work before reappying. I follow it up with 80 grit on the Foredom just to knock off left over ridges and remove any glazing.
100%

Me as well. I spot treat with acid on a Qtip.

I’ve had cylinder where a scotchbrite hone polished up the transfer making it unnoticeable to the eye. Then you ruin a piston.

It’s an easy and safe way to know if all the aluminum is off.

100%

Me as well. I spot treat with acid on a Qtip.

I’ve had cylinder where a scotchbrite hone polished up the transfer making it unnoticeable to the eye. Then you ruin a piston.

It’s an easy and safe way to know if all the aluminum is off.
My 346 is still that way. I bought the cylinder knowing it needed work. I sanded everything until it appeared perfect. If a guy tries hard enough he can sand the aluminum so that it looks exactly like the plating. My new Meteor ended up with a smear on it in the same location as the sanded transfer. I ended up trying acid on it and sure enough, there was still some aluminum there. After I cleaned and smoothed out the piston and removed the transfer the 2nd time, the piston hasn't gotten any worse

Back