Anyone seen cylinder work like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched several in this series from the chainsaw guy on a 372xpw.
His mod takes a bit more off in that area.

Of course I'm a total noob when it comes to 2-stroke mods. So I don't know if this is common or not.
And haven't decided which of my saws should take on the intitial butcher job.

Yes I have seen cylinder work like that many times. For a chainsaw I am not sure what the benefit would be. The theory is to allow the inside of the crank case more exposure for fuel air to enter more easily. The negative is that under many conditions it will cause a shorter power band. This power band issue has been beat to death in other threads. Thanks

Here's some pics of a 75cc 372 jug from the "local shop." Hogged out transfers and a "winged" exhaust port. The exhaust port is huge - I would guess it has 172º or so duration. The intake port is huge as well and has been dropped down quite a bit.

172 is a lot. Looks pretty hacked up to me. Makes me feel damn good about my work. The transfers though are interesting. I’ve never swept them like that on any saw. I have stretched them towards the intake. Changed the sound of the exhaust but I’m not sure any gains came with it.

172 is a lot. Looks pretty hacked up to me. Makes me feel damn good about my work. The transfers though are interesting. I’ve never swept them like that on any saw. I have stretched them towards the intake. Changed the sound of the exhaust but I’m not sure any gains came with it.

This one is pretty ugly. I believe it came out of a shop in Myrtle Point. There was a guy there "building" saws for local fallers. The faller I got it from lives in Tenmile and I worked with him on Burnt Mountain in 2003-04. He gave me a bunch of these jugs for free and they're all pretty much the same.

Yes.

That’s someone trying to increase flow into the lowers without reducing case volume too much.

Not and entirely crazy idea at all AFAIC.

I’ve seen some crazy looking stuff work great and some not so.

Back