Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. the 'scrounge pile' is the pile I scrounge from. Its the spot where the tree service guy piles it. larger rounds he does tend to stack that way, probably so kids don't knock them over. they aren't there long. That Yew was felled Thursday or Friday. some of the rings must be very high in resin as they were HEAVY!. As you can see from my 'haul' photo where the wood is in my front garden, the rings are on edge. they will get shifted in a day or so and be on pallets.

I collect with the car but its only 5 miles each way, 20 mins drive in London suburbs. you can see a yellow ford flat bed truck behind my car in a couple of photos...that's the tree service's.

No. the 'scrounge pile' is the pile I scrounge from. Its the spot where the tree service guy piles it. larger rounds he does tend to stack that way, probably so kids don't knock them over. they aren't there long. That Yew was felled Thursday or Friday. some of the rings must be very high in resin as they were HEAVY!. As you can see from my 'haul' photo where the wood is in my front garden, the rings are on edge. they will get shifted in a day or so and be on pallets.

I collect with the car but its only 5 miles each way, 20 mins drive in London suburbs. you can see a yellow ford flat bed truck behind my car in a couple of photos...that's the tree service's.

I misunderstood sir, though it was your pile. Cool that you have a relationship with the tree service.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Makita has a good reputation for both electrical tools in general, and chainsaws (gas and electric). I have no way to justify it, but I really want one of these:

View attachment 735380
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCU06T

Not sure if that meets your needs. They have some larger models too, but not as cute!

Philbert
Not sure I understand. A little gas top handle would work just as good or better and not run out of batteries. I guess the only disadvantage of a gas saw would be noise but I dont have that issue where I am

Yeah, a battery powered saw can be a nice add-on tool in the set.

I always suggest that folks who have a lot of battery powered contractor type tools (Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc.) start with their offerings, since they are already invested in that battery platform (typically about half the cost of each tool). If starting from scratch, or choosing a separate platform for O*P*E, take a look at the entire line offered by the brand (string trimmers, leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, pole saws, lawn mowers, etc.): you may think that you only want a chainsaw, but pretty soon . . . . .

Makita has a good reputation for both electrical tools in general, and chainsaws (gas and electric). I have no way to justify it, but I really want one of these:

View attachment 735380
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCU06T

Not sure if that meets your needs. They have some larger models too, but not as cute!

Philbert
Thanks Philbert. That looks neat. 10" is perfect for the intended use. Not sure about what looks like a proprietary chain sprocket though. I wonder if regular rims can be fitted.
c63a1df9-3b46-4fef-a321-62e4bd3afd08_xcu06z_f_1500px.jpg

Down here they call that model DUC254 followed by either RT (with battery and charger) or Z (bare tool). Looks like it's using .043 gauge chains. Not sure what bar mount pattern. Bare tool is about US$250 and the kit with battery and charger is about US$380 here from a company I have bought a few Makita tools off and know they have sharp prices.

I'm somewhat deep into the Makita cordless matrix so might have to see if I can find a demo model of that chainsaw and try it out. Thanks for the info and lead.
Another tool I'm looking closely at to put on my wish list is the new Makita (18x2) 36v mitre saw. I've heard very good things about it and know a few builders who have resisted cordless miter saws for years but this model has convinced them it's time to make the move. I love my Dewalt mitre saw but if cordless ones are now actually more than frustrating toys, it might be time to flick the dewalt off.

Not sure I understand. A little gas top handle would work just as good or better and not run out of batteries. I guess the only disadvantage of a gas saw would be noise but I dont have that issue where I am
Yeah, but I have an irrational dislike for starting engines for one or two cuts and shutting them down again. I don't like repetitive cold stop/starts and like the idea of just pulling a trigger. It's not for production work so if i have two batteries that should more than get me through a day. But, just how grunty are they going to be if I have that 8" branch that I don't want to start the 261 to cut? Hopefully I can find someone who has a demo' saw I can use.

Back