Buzz saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wowzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
DF0EE3A4-EB3A-49CB-AE52-CA5C9FCFF251.jpeg Looking for some advice I have a 11hp princess auto motor and considering mounting it on the buzz saw, just wondering if anyone has done this. Been thinking about belts with an idler pulley or would a gear box utilizing the PTO shaft be better?

Above is the same model I have mines just not that nice. Haha

Here is a youtube of a buzz saw being ran with a 212CC 6.5 HP Habor Freight predator.

I would have mounted the engine higher so it wasn't down were all the saw dust goes. I would have liked to see the air filter after he cut up those slabs.

I think he should have used the 13 or 22 HP engines with better luck.
I would also have set up a double shive pulley system.

But it did work.

:D Al

Wowzer
Over the years I have had several buzz saws. If you have one that is three point already with a pto shaft and it looks like you have a tractor why not use it? But to answer your question I have one on the back of my homemade wood splitter that I took a old one that was front mount on a tractor and had a sliding feed table and made a frame and I power it with a 13 HP Honda that came of a power washer a guy let freeze up and broke the pump. I run a jack shaft off the engine and then from the jack shaft to the blade shaft. I run a 36 inch blade and cut a lot of hedge with it. I run the motor wide open and that gives me the correct speed for the blade. The 13 HP handles it but a 20 or 25 two cylinder would be better.

Wowzer
Over the years I have had several buzz saws. If you have one that is three point already with a pto shaft and it looks like you have a tractor why not use it? But to answer your question I have one on the back of my homemade wood splitter that I took a old one that was front mount on a tractor and had a sliding feed table and made a frame and I power it with a 13 HP Honda that came of a power washer a guy let freeze up and broke the pump. I run a jack shaft off the engine and then from the jack shaft to the blade shaft. I run a 36 inch blade and cut a lot of hedge with it. I run the motor wide open and that gives me the correct speed for the blade. The 13 HP handles it but a 20 or 25 two cylinder would be better.

I only have a sub compact tractor looking to save some hours on it as utilize the grapple on it for staging logs. I have the motor and saw already I think if I had to buy the motor it wouldn’t be a thought. But almost even considering hydraulic motor and a conveyor to help stack maybe

View attachment 734636 Looking for some advice I have a 11hp princess auto motor and considering mounting it on the buzz saw, just wondering if anyone has done this. Been thinking about belts with an idler pulley or would a gear box utilizing the PTO shaft be better?

Above is the same model I have mines just not that nice. Haha

The old hands around here had those & they were PTO powered.
Look for the yellow saw blade in the lower left corner.

FWIW,
The SIL said that was one of the most dangerous things he’d ever seen.
bdba04d33d7b258102c3faa1e503b484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back in the day the buzz saw was a handy farm tool and then most people had the brains to use caution when running them. Since there were not warning stickers or a book of warnings it tended to weed out the brain less idots quick.

The old hands around here had those & they were PTO powered.
Look for the yellow saw blade in the lower left corner.

FWIW,
The SIL said that was one of the most dangerous things he’d ever seen.
bdba04d33d7b258102c3faa1e503b484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You just have to respect the buzz saw, I don't trust half the people I know to be around one to be honest. But yes it really has come in handy with the tops and some of the tree service wood i get basically anything 10" and under goes through it.

Jut getting back into the wood game as last year we moved to a house with a propane furnace, and I have quickly learned that the wood heat cannot be supplemented by propane without giving your 2nd and 3rd child up haha I will be putting a wood insert into the fireplace for this winter and hopefully offsetting the cost of propane.

So i have been doing some thinking and I found a Hydraulic Motor from Surplus with e PTO Spline (https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Dynamic/9-59-cu-in-PTO-Drive-Motor-BMSY160E2SLS-9-7368-160.axd ) I want to build a different wood splitter so I am thinking about dismantling the one I have and using the 8hp with 2 stage pump and maybe a PTO Spline motor on the Buzz saw. have to do some more research but it think that the route i'm at.

Also once the motor is added I will add something so it can be picked up with the FEL, with the quick attach and standard pallet forks too as well I think.

So i have been doing some thinking and I found a Hydraulic Motor from Surplus with e PTO Spline (https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Dynamic/9-59-cu-in-PTO-Drive-Motor-BMSY160E2SLS-9-7368-160.axd ) I want to build a different wood splitter so I am thinking about dismantling the one I have and using the 8hp with 2 stage pump and maybe a PTO Spline motor on the Buzz saw. have to do some more research but it think that the route i'm at.

Also once the motor is added I will add something so it can be picked up with the FEL, with the quick attach and standard pallet forks too as well I think.[/QUOTE

You need to read the specs on that motor a little closer. A two stage pump won't even get that motor running much less drive a buzz saw. The only cheaper ways to drive the saw is PTO from tractor or a small engine direct. I put that same motor on a three point snow blower for a buddy and he runs it with his skid loader with 30 GPM oil works good.

Many old hands around here use them when they were Kids. they were powered by a flat belt from a tractor belt pulley.

Our first one I remember was powered by a Case VAC tractor and the buzz rig was stationary.

the second one we had till I moved away from home was mounted on the front of a Allis WC tractor later a WD 45 Allis with a flat belt off a bely pulley.

Those were the days when you didn't get a 35 page book of warnings and cautions when buying a pick axe.

A 50 page book of warnings and cautions when you buy a chain saw.

People were born with common sence and learned more do's and don't from their folks.

The first one I had in the 70's was a stationary that was laying in the iron pile when I bought the farm. I pulled it out and got it
going and ran it with a G John Deere and a flat belt . Then a friend of a friend that used to come out to the farm to cut some fireplace wood for himself saw me running it and said Grandpa has a old B John Deere sitting in shed up north on the family farm that has a buzz saw mounted on the front that hasn't ran in years. A couple months later I came home from being gone a couple days and the tractor with the saw was sitting in my driveway with a note hear's payment for the firewood. I got it running and sawed wood with it for years. About 10 years ago the great grand son was looking for the tractor as he had moved to the family farm so I gave it to him. Nice to see the tractor go back to the farm it started on.

Do you have the motor on a plate or anything so you can start it and then put engage it for the blade after it’s started?
It should be that way or clutched but its direct drive. Would be simple to do even a hinge on the mounting plate with lever to give it some slack to disengage.

I affectionately call it the death machine. But seriously its no more dangerous then many tractor mounted saw rigs. Mainly it's just a fun way to drive the neighbors crazy with its wonderful singing.

I loved the sound as a kid. I was also the throw away kid till dad would load some thing on the table that required him to cut half and then turn to finish it off then he would tell me to push the table while he took the big chunk.

We threw ours in farm wagons and a 3/4 ton pick up. The old farm house had a attched wood shed about 30 feet long and 20 feet wide and I'd say 10 foot high inside. It had 2 4'x4' doors in the side some one could be unloading one wagon at one door and others unloading The second wagon at the second door. When they were finshing off we would back the pick up to the door and unload it.
We never stacked it inside the shed, dad hated all the extra handleing and I guess he passed it down to because I will only stack if I have some near the walk out when winter is over and I want it sort of out of the way.

My dad and Uncle were good hands with a sledge and wedge on logs also to get them to a size two grown men could lift.
Dad had around 10 Wedges and several he made from some really hard wood.

I look back on those days with fond memorys. I do not know how they decided but two of dads brothers would get together one was a old bachlor and the others family.

After the first two wagons were filled and the pick up Mom and aunt would have dinner ready. You do not see that much food piled up at a buffet today.

I loved the sound as a kid. I was also the throw away kid till dad would load some thing on the table that required him to cut half and then turn to finish it off then he would tell me to push the table while he took the big chunk.

We threw ours in farm wagons and a 3/4 ton pick up. The old farm house had a attched wood shed about 30 feet long and 20 feet wide and I'd say 10 foot high inside. It had 2 4'x4' doors in the side some one could be unloading one wagon at one door and others unloading The second wagon at the second door. When they were finshing off we would back the pick up to the door and unload it.
We never stacked it inside the shed, dad hated all the extra handleing and I guess he passed it down to because I will only stack if I have some near the walk out when winter is over and I want it sort of out of the way.

My dad and Uncle were good hands with a sledge and wedge on logs also to get them to a size two grown men could lift.
Dad had around 10 Wedges and several he made from some really hard wood.

I look back on those days with fond memorys. I do not know how they decided but two of dads brothers would get together one was a old bachlor and the others family.

After the first two wagons were filled and the pick up Mom and aunt would have dinner ready. You do not see that much food piled up at a buffet today.

I too thought stacking was a lot of unnecessary extra work.

Back