Katzco filing kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Adams

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just trolling thru Amazon while its raining. Saw this kit. 8 piece. Has depth gauge, file guide, 5/32", 3/16", and 7/32" files, wood handle, and raker file. Anybody tried em?

Nope. Aint figured that out. Blame it on my redneck roots. Go to Amazon and search chainsaw files. Its the Amazon favorite.

Thats it my friend. Magic! Or something along the lines of "post link". Anybody tried these? Reviews say the files are pretty good. Depth and angle gauges, not so much. I was just looking for something decent to keep in the truck toolbox. The roll pouch looks nice.

Now your talking anything with a file n guide when used sharpens the top of the tooth to the correct angle if we follow the lines and match the file n guide base to the angle of the tooth. But first I file the gullet out for chip clearances. Try not to hit the upper part of the cutting edge. Once the gullet is filed correctly then I use the file n guide to sharpen the upper edge of the tooth only.

Example, not all brands of chain is exactly the same, if a 3/8” chain is being sharpened a 7/32” file might be too big for the gullet when the chain is new. I go one size smaller to do the gullet.

Bill, thanks for the reply. I was asking if this set had any quality to it. Mostly I want the roll pouch. I like pferd files, as they cut well and seem to last better than Oregon branded files ive use in the past. I like to relieve the "gullet" of the tooth as you and many others talk of. With hand filing it is an upward and twisting motion that stays away and back under the actual cutting edge of the tooth. I use my Oregon 511A with the head set low to give this "undercut" then grind the face of the cutter on a separate pass. I then put on the "drag tooth"(depth gauge) wheel and cut down to the corrcect height for depth gauges with the depth gauge guide I bought from Oregon when I got the grinder. I have all sizes, including .404, 1/2", 9/16", etc. Also have wheels for these, some of which dont get used much.
I'm not trying to come across as a smartazz or knowitall. I had my own shop years ago, and am lucky to have kept some of what I had(Oregon grinder). The rest was all just knowledge that I was lucky to gain from my grandad and dad about the right way to sharpen a chain and have it cut right and for a reasonably long time. I used that info to be the best in town for sharpening chains, and had a good following just for that. I wish the rest of my business was that good, maybe id still be doing it. Sold Shindaiwas for a bit, but that was when Roberts had them. Best trimmer on the market then, and saws werent bad. 757 was a HOSS! T235trimmer was best power to weight ratio you could get then, IMHO.
What I'm trying to ask after all this is, has anyone used this kit, and if so, was it something worth throwing in the truck to touch a saw up on the fly.0511192215a.jpg 0511192215a.jpg 0511192215.jpg

Latest posts

Back