Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last weekend my neighbor across the road from me came over to tell me he was going to clear one of his fence lines and asked if I wanted the wood. Naturally I said yes; he thought there would be about 3 or 4 cords... perfect!! He called Friday and said they're done and I could start cutting and hauling. Saturday morning I loaded up my gear and headed over there (1/8th mile from my driveway) and discovered that the 3 or 4 cords was more like 6 or 8 cords... awesome!!! The wood is a mix of hedge, mulberry and cherry, great firewood!!! Got to load the new to me F250 for the first time and was very happy with how it did.
KIMG0076.JPG
KIMG0075.JPG KIMG0074.JPG

Drinking my coffee and having a laugh.

My nearest neighbors are two brothers who share a small cabin. I think one guy is 67 and the other is 63 or so. Nice enough guys but kind of eccentric too. The younger brother is thin and at least visually is in better shape. He also uses the cabin all winter where the older brother only uses it spring through fall. They burn wood for heat. Anyhow I know they got into a big fight a while back because the older brother “makes all the wood and the younger one burns most of it”. I hear the older brother up there puttering around with the chainsaw and can imagine he’s cursing as he makes wood, again. :ices_rofl::chainsaw:

I ran a tank throgh ickle saw bucking lots of smaller stuff, then finished the half a tank of fuel i had left in the big saw after yesterdays stumping action. first time ive er run the 2 on the same day...bl**dy 'ell it makes you realise how firkin fast the big bad boy is!

View attachment 735555 Any of you other scroungers end up with chains that are uneven near the end of there life. I'll run it till it starts breaking teeth off :lol:.
Can’t say that I do but I haven’t been hand filing that long either. I usually send a sharp, near end of life chain along as a spare when I sell a saw or I use it for stumping so it’s good and dead lol.

Can’t say that I do but I haven’t been hand filing that long either. I usually send a sharp, near end of life chain along as a spare when I sell a saw or I use it for stumping so it’s good and dead lol.
I put that chain on the 590 for the charity cut yesterday. Figured if I hit something and killed it it wasn't a big loss. I knew the wood wouldn't be clean from last time also.
I set the depth guages with the husky guide it cuts good and straight just looks odd.

I put that chain on the 590 for the charity cut yesterday. Figured if I hit something and killed it it wasn't a big loss. I knew the wood wouldn't be clean from last time also.
I set the depth guages with the husky guide it cuts good and straight just looks odd.
I’m told by people smarter than I am on this subject, that as long as each tooth is sharp and the depth gauge is properly adjusted, the chain will cut just fine even if there’s size discrepancy between teeth.

Also interesting to note that some swear a chain right off the roll cuts fastest while others claim a chain with nearly no tooth left cuts fastest.

A while back I was given a chain that “didn’t cut right”. The depth gauges were filed way down but they weren’t shaped. We (well technically @Philbert) sharpened the chain and reshaped the front of the gauges and with .045 depth the saw cut great in softwood and wasn’t grabby or chattery.

Any of you other scroungers end up with chains that are uneven near the end of there life.
I am a chain scrounger. I often get hand filed chains that are un-even, and even them up on a grinder, often long before they get as far as those. A lot of guys will still run a chain with a few cutters missing.

Philbert

I've had chains look like that. Usually ones that come on a new to me saw.
Got a text this morning. "want some wood! Elm, apple and pear" I went and checked it out. Some big some skinny, all in log lengths so I'll cut it on site and load up. Just wish my yard would dry up. Made myself a hitch gizmo this morning so I can move trailers around the yard with the tractor.
5d4479c9114dba849e055b1cccbd019b.jpg
bff9e7dedb1314872ed4b2c880d87c3c.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I do....mine get uneven quite fast probably! I don't find it matters, still cuts straight. I read somewhere...some husky chain expert being quoted iirc..the important ting is the right racker height for each tooth, if the raker height is right on ever y tooth it cuts straight, you can test it, take one side of a new chain right the way back but set the rakers ...it will cut straight at smooth. so i really don't care. I've got a chain on the ms180 that is rather bad now....one tooth snapped and one or 2 bent ones, the rest are like James's still cuts.
2in1 file for the win

When BobL was advocating for progressively deeper raker depths that a constant cutter to raker angle creates as the cutters wear, I deliberately ground almost each tooth on a loop a different length but set the aforementioned angle to the rakers consistently, which meant different raker depths for each tooth. That dude knows a thing or twenty about setting up chains and chainsaw mills and he was bang on. I don't own a raker gauge, but do have two digital angle finders - one for the shed and one in my chainsaw toolbox. I set the angle between cutter and raker (I just call it raker angle now) based on the wood the chain is likely to see. Cutter length is only consistent because I use a chain grinder, otherwise it could be anythign as long as my raker angles are consistent.

When I'm asked to grind a chain/s for others, the chains usually tell me if the person is left or right handed

I agree with KiwiBro. I prolly read the same thing. And yes...lots of people watch the 'tube and learn to do the same number of strokes per side...but don't realise one side they will be much more confident and stronger and take far more off. BUT WITH THE RIGHT RAKER HEIGHT IT DOESNT MATTER

Back