Would you run this cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am trying to build a 346xp out of two junk carcasses. One is scored and the cylinder is too far gone to use I think the other saw is smashed and the cylinder has busted fins but a good bore. Would you run this cylinder with the two broken fins?
I also included pics of the scored cylinder and piston. What do you think? Lean? Or straight gassed?
e10ad2170f0fdb4cc0b4f6e5463cc710.jpg
ecbd05d1f614e65e172cb78095258838.jpg
f1d81e6ffc601d8d52a0bdb5a7cf20ea.jpg
b11251bf4f4f9b3d2754bb78d74c4b13.jpg

Use a scotch bright on it, then stick a ring in there by using a the piston to push it in. Check it against multiple areas of the scoring and shine a flashlight through plug hole side. If you see any light coming through the edges of the ring it’s probably done.
I’ve never tried this before but it’s a good idea inside my head !
Others may chime in

I've pretty well decided the scored cylinder is done. More interested what folks think of the one with the broken fins. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Looks like deep scoring. Never hurts to see how it cleans up.

You can weld fins back on. Will run without them. If it's scored beyond use, way not just toss it?

Yes, the one with the broken fins has a good bore. That saw was a runner until it had a tree dropped on it.

That cylinder bore is done. Those broken fins can be welded, just be careful and patient with cast Aluminum. When welding fins, be careful of your heat input as it can warp with all your heat on that one side, your bore will then be eccentric and you’ll have problems. Preheat would probably help.

I have been running a 268XP with missing fins just like yours for years... I don't think there would be much heat dissipating from the top two fins anyhow...

Can’t judge it till you hone it and see if it cleans up. I put a coarse piece of sand paper about 3/4” - 1” wide x 3” long and turn the bore on my thumb before I hone it. If most of the aluminum comes out I use the hone next. Last I use 1500 grit paper till done. Most of the time it looks worse than it is. With the older husky saws the cylinders were hard industrial chrome plated. I’ll say most of the time the cylinder could be saved.

They scored Jug is junk, it’s deeply grooved. I see you know that.

The broken fin cylinder will run fine. You’ll just have to check tune after any long cuts.

If you or a buddy can Tig weld, use the fins off the scored cylinder as a donor. That’s an easy one to do.

FWIW, a new oem top end for that saw, P&C, is under $100.

When did they change from chrome plating in the bores to nickasil?

I did purchase gear driven adjustable hones with stones for nickasil. This isn’t a spring loaded hone with three stones. I have a three stone hone with alumimum stones. These stones shouldn’t cut the chrome or nickasil. They should remove the aluminum from the piston that’s imbedded in the chrome.

I just watched fleetcommand honing cylinders with a ball hone.

I found ball hones for nickasil at, www.enginehones.com
They have been my engine hone supplier besides Goodson.

I tried to hone a Husqvarna/cagiva 125 dirtbike chrome liner bore once just to cross hatch it. It made my hones scream uncle. They couldn’t touch that hard chrome.

There’s no way your going to hurt a oem husky chrome cylinder.

Problem is that many are not chrome lined, as Brad said. Would you run this one?

Attachments

• IMG_8511.JPG
    IMG_8511.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8508.JPG
    IMG_8508.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back