Ash trees struggling in utah

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frysauce

Reaction score
Hello, I have 2 trees, which I think are Ash trees and neither have leafed out yet. Other trees in the neighborhood have.
I dont know much about caring for trees so I was hoping y'all might be able to help out with some ideas on what I can do. I've attached some pictures of the trees. Thanks in advance!!

That is ash. The flaky bark says it is dead. Maybe not the roots (you did show a few leaves...), but at least those portions are dead.

Hard to say from those photos what the problem was. Any pics of the base of the tree?

I'd replace with something besides Ash. I love the tree, but EAB will get there at some point.

Welcome to the site.
Yes they look like Ash to me. I'm not sure what species, But that shaped leaf as well as compound arrangement says it's either ash or elm.
Elm are a fatter leaf with bigger saw-tooth edges.
Too bad that it's dying, but maybe replace with a Maple or another deciduous shade tree that's local to your area.
I'm in Southern Ontario and we've seen that devastation of the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) here.
Millions of dead ash trees.
I assume that the builder planted the trees or contracted it out to a landscaper. I find it strange that whoever did, never researched what the current state of Ash tree mortality is at the moment with half of the USA and Canada affected by EAB, before choosing to plant those there.
Nonetheless, you will be better to plant another asap and stay away from Ash.
Good luck and please post what you plant.
Good luck.

Also be careful when whipper snipping the grass around the tree base when cutting as not to damage the bark, especially on young, thin barked saplings.
You can get some tree trunk plastic wrap stuff to install for this purpose.

Thanks so much for all of your replies!

When I remove these trees should I dig up the roots or just cut them down to a stump?

That is up to you...

Are you going to plant something else there? Do you mind a stump cut at ground level in your yard?

If you aren't planting there and don't mind the stump, then just leave it.

That small of tree dig down around it, cut with an axe and cover it over. No stump.

Back