Info please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the shelter sf1000? Can't really find anything on the furnace and trying to see if it's any better than the new hotblast 1331E furnace .

https://www.**********/talk/threads/shelter-sf1000.164342/

https://www.**********/talk/threads/anyone-have-experience-with-shelter-brand-furnaces.108044/

I was going to buy a shelter furnace for my home when I bought my England 28 3500 but I decided the dealer was the south end of a horse going north.

I am very happy with My england, same furnace Lowes sells called summer heat only red.

I have a hot blast in the cabin at deer camp. It was given to me and I don't care for it at all. Won't hold a fire all night no mater how big of chiunks you put in it.

:D Al

That one's not epa certified is it?? I live in town, can't smoke my neighbors out

I have the new EPA englanger 28-4000 and I never have any smoke other than starting it. It was 1349$ and is much nicer than a hotblast. Some of those cheap EPA furnaces I question how well the secondary burn works. The englander has burn tubes and works very well.

That one's not epa certified is it?? I live in town, can't smoke my neighbors out

An EPA cert isn't a guarantee of no smoke. Poor practices or fuel can make smoke with anything. And it's possible to make very little smoke with a non-cert furnace if used properly with proper fuel.

I don't think I'd go with either Hotblast or Shelter, have read lots of downer tales on each.

Just seen a few pics of the shelter furnace an the door was glowing red. Think the englander might be to much for my house ( 1299 sqft)

My house is 1700sqft and it's not to much for my house. So far it hasn't cooked us out but I've only had it for a few months. If I load it up it brings the house up 5 to 6 degrees. It will stay hot and ready to reload for a long time so I dont load it until the house cools down a bit.

I'm not trying to sell you on the englander. That's just what I bought after heating with a cheap shelter style furnace for 5 seasons.

Appreciate the honesty, just wish I could see it in person first. How many splits you put in at once?

I bought mine on the L&M website so I never saw it first. Some homedepots and lowes have them on display just none near me. It will fit an average 6 to 8 splits depending on size. I think I got it in March so I'm still learning how to use it best but I did get a good amount of 20 degree days with it and it did a good job. It's the same fire box as the englander wood stove the nc30. That was mainly why I bought it because I had read a ton of great things about that stove.

Last night it was about 45 out and rainy so I lit it with a bunch of cut offs and 4 smaller splits and it was up from 65 to 72 in here in a few hours. That was a light load. Once it's going it maintains a pretty steady heat output unlike my last furnace.

From a little bit of research and looking at that shelter furnace online it looks like another company doing whatever they need to to meet the new EPA standards. A lot of companies are doing weird stuff to meet the standard. Do the research before you buy because a lot of them are smoke and mirrors. I can guarantee you will not get a 12 hour burn time or even half of that. There's a few furnaces that are the real deal and I'd say the englander is on the cheap end but it's an EPA stove with a metal jacket and a blower on it. It's a pretty simple furnace.

Latest posts

Back