MTD 20 ton log splitter parts question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an MTD Yard Machines 20 ton log splitter, not sure of the year but several years old. Had a piece break on the control handle, the part that the handle linkage bolts to, looks like cast iron. I got on MTD's website and tried to look up the part for it but can't find my exact splitter. I got all the numbers off my splitter but nothing matches those numbers on MTD's website. I found a control handle assembly which looks like what I need but not sure if it would fit my model.

https://www.amazon.com/MTD-Replacem...ords=947-0583&qid=1557667726&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The part that broke is the metal piece with the 3 holes in it. But how can I be sure this will fit the splitter I have?

The valve has a number on it and tried looking that up but nothing came up for that.

that seem high price . I don't know where to get just that piece, but DHT has the whole valve for that much, https://shop.dirtyhandtools.com/products/detent-valve

I thought about buying whole valve, as far as I know, this one has never been replaced and has been through alot of wood.

I know a good welder and thought about checking with him to see if he could weld it back together.

Just not sure if my link would be the right one or how to find the right one.

Weld it or go to your Rural King store and check out the hyd valves, they have a good selection of parts and way cheaper than Amazon.

Will there be any valves that will fit directly into place or will I have to add more fittings?

york, what wrong with welding it and a new one better last longer than 5 years lol

assuming the circled part is what's broken, could try getting it welded. Doesn't look like it has anything to do with pressure (from what I can see). Looks like it just mounts the handle. The Amazon price looks way high for what you would get. Others have the same part number ~15-20 cheaper. I can't tell you it's the right part from info you've shared.

I'd be tempted to just look at a new complete valve, but don't have price for that. They do wear out.

Attachments

• Inked41AGDNrWGQL_LI.jpg
    Inked41AGDNrWGQL_LI.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 10
Will there be any valves that will fit directly into place or will I have to add more fittings?

york, what wrong with welding it and a new one better last longer than 5 years lol

With the info (or lack) you've shared I don't think anyone can tell you what would fit directly.

You've got it in hand so should be a better judge of if it could be welded and work than a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Usually trying to weld those doesn't work out. The metal is what I would call a pot metal and doesn't weld I have tried it on a weekend to keep running. Take the broken piece to the farm supply stores in your area they might be able to match it. I would order a new valve from surplus center and replace it. It might take a few fittings or a hose to change it out.

nice find. Looks like the whole kit is only $25. If its indeed the right part i wouldn't screw around with it for that kind of money. less than 10 miles from me and I've never been in the store.

This valve from Northern Tool was an exact fit on my yard machines splitter. I believe my splitter is made by MTD.
a44fab0084af199352d242098b15feb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back