Engine break-in (Stihl 131R)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeclipse

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All,
I know this is a chainsaw forum but I figure the engines must be similar and im looking for advice on engine break-in for the new weedeater we purchased. Every chainsaw I have ever purchased has been used or slightly used so I have never had to brake one in. We just purchased a Stihl 131r Kombi system weedeater. The manual recommends to NOT go to full power until after 3 tank fills. 3 Tank fills may be the like half of the entire season of weed wacking at my property haha. What do you do to maybe speed this process up? I have seen some people comment that they will let it run idling while doing other yard work and from time to time go over and hit the gas to half throttle to help prevent build up from occurring on the spark plug etc. Is this ok to do? I mean, if we have to...we will simply use it running half power while weed wacking but like I said this will take a good portion of the summer. Anything else we should consider? Thanks!

i just bought a brand new echo trimmer. it got put straight to work. but its also a conventional two-stroke, i assume yours is a four mix? im not sure if theres something special to do for those. if anything i would find a nice tall patch of grass where i could run it under a load for a good 10-15 mins straight, not necessarily wide open full rpms, but a good consistent load. many recommend breaking in a saw with several long cuts, i would just try to replicate that. then again, i think stihl used to recommend (for their m-tron saws) that the first thing you do is hold it wide open for 30 or 60 seconds or something. i guess im trying to say i wouldnt worry about it that much haha.

I've had a 131r since they were 1st offered, no babying for break in is needed. Run the valves after the 1st season and you'll be good.

My manual for my fs91r says no full throttle OFF load for three tanks. If you're cutting WOT is okay. Much like a saw

Run it hard under load. Don't let it sit idling, you don't want to do that. You want to create as much pressure on the rings as possible. Pressure is what seats rings, so to create it full throttle and load is whats required. Run it HARD.

I did lawn care full time years ago. Had a Husky 223L that crapped the bed one day in middle of day. No time for that. Swung in the Stihl dealer and bought an FS90R to finish ng day and I ran the piss out if. Has always ran great and still does

I did lawn care full time years ago. Had a Husky 223L that crapped the bed one day in middle of day. No time for that. Swung in the Stihl dealer and bought an FS90R to finish ng day and I ran the piss out if. Has always ran great and still does
I own a 225 Husky weed eater,bought it New in 2000, been using it every year since to clear my 2 1/2 acres. Always a good runner, easy starter. It fell off the bench years ago and cracked the crankcase- fuel tank! I just sourced a used crankcase last year and tore it completely down to replace it, the piston still has the machine marks on it, no vertical wear marks visible! Always ran it wide open with no special breakin needed.

I own a 225 Husky weed eater,bought it New in 2000, been using it every year since to clear my 2 1/2 acres. Always a good runner, easy starter. It fell off the bench years ago and cracked the crankcase- fuel tank! I just sourced a used crankcase last year and tore it completely down to replace it, the piston still has the machine marks on it, no vertical wear marks visible! Always ran it wide open with no special breakin needed.

Yeah that 223 is a great trimmer. Really light. A lot lighter by feel than the FS90R. I still have it. Ended up that day it quit on me the coil failed. I put a coil in it. Now I don’t do lawn care anymore full time and have two trimmers but only need one.

Yeah that 223 is a great trimmer. Really light. A lot lighter by feel than the FS90R. I still have it. Ended up that day it quit on me the coil failed. I put a coil in it. Now I don’t do lawn care anymore full time and have two trimmers but only need one.
223 was a different animal than the 225, 223 had a separate fuel tank from the crankcase, which was an improvement! I love my 225, but after cracking the tank-crankcase, I became very proficient at applying JB Weld every spring! I’m much more aware of that weakness NOW,lol!

Back