Tree job (sorry - no pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got a tree job yesterday. Silver maple, back yard, about 60' tall.

There were 3 main branches, 2 of them leaning over the neighbor's yard.

I used a ladder to climb up (yes, I tied off the top) and tie off the upper part of one branch and run the rope over a higher crotch on the main branch. Ran it down to another tree and wrapped it around a couple times.

Similar rope near the bottom, and a third at the bottom.

Homeowner held the two upper ropes while I made the cut. Branch did exactly what I expected (yay!) and dropped about a foot and swung to the east a bit. I eased up the bottom rope, and the other guy lowered the other two ropes and I would cut off sections of tree as it came near the ground. Eventually the upper rope was at the balance point of the branch, and I would trim stuff from the top until it overbalanced, then trim the bottom. It all came down beautifully.

Same thing with the second branch.

Third and main one I climbed up, dropped most of the limbs, but there were two I lowered down with ropes. Chunked down the rest of it.

1 truckload to our local yard waste dropoff area, and one small load of firewood which I use for bundles.

It was the first time I've used spikes and the portawrap for a couple years. It was good to be up in a tree like that again, and the rigging challenge was fun.

Of course, it's always fun when everything goes right! :dancing::rock:

OK, here's a pic of today's tree job. Similar situation, except I didn't need to use any spikes.

58994404_10218587334579682_9089636543487803392_n.jpg

This is when you tell yourself "I have time to remove this tree before the rain hits," and Mother Nature (who is a vindictive old bag) hears you say it.

OK, here's a pic of today's tree job. Similar situation, except I didn't need to use any spikes.

58994404_10218587334579682_9089636543487803392_n.jpg

This is when you tell yourself "I have time to remove this tree before the rain hits," and Mother Nature (who is a vindictive old bag) hears you say it.

been raining here for 4 days straight
light rain, no sun, mid 40's..can't really get anything done

No pic of the stump. I wanted to come back and mill it, but in two years it was rotted beyond milling. They never wanted me to take the last 12' down because it was a swampy area and they didn't want anymore ruts in the yard. I regraded everything smooth as a baby's butt. Johnny passed away a couple years later, and a couple years after that Joyce had another company come in and take down some big White Pines. They took a tandem axle chipper in the swampy area and a knuckle boom to load the logs and tore the yard all up. All they did was reseed. I mow Joyce's yard now and that section is like a washboard.

Latest posts

Back