stihl 360, 361, 362 or husky 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Graff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, I've been contemplating stuff. If you had a choice, would you buy a Stihl 360 for $450, 361 with a somewhat broken recoil air vent for $575, 362 in really good condition for $535, or a husky 365 for $550?

Why would you buy what?

I'd get one of these (12 pound 60cc)
20190219_185959.jpgaaannd one of these (13.4 pound 71cc)
20190116_173747.jpg
and have a few bucks left over.

Because two is one and one is none.
And they were available and reasonably priced.

Seriously though. Probably not the broken one. But I could use any of the others.

So, I've been contemplating stuff. If you had a choice, would you buy a Stihl 360 for $450, 361 with a somewhat broken recoil air vent for $575, 362 in really good condition for $535, or a husky 365 for $550?

Why would you buy what?

Stihl 360, old saw. Simple machine with lots of available parts. Rubber mounts so not as smooth as others on the list.

Stihl 361, newer than the 360, good supply of aftermarket parts. No where near the used OEM parts available as the 360s. Springs on a Stihl, smoother than a 360.

Stihl 362, no much parts in used or aftermarket. Smoothest saw of the group.

Husqvarna 365, simple saw, biggest saw, can have a larger piston and cylinder installed. Tons of used and aftermarket parts available, OEM parts prices are not horrible. Smoothish saw. If you can handle the size it is the most saw out of the group by a large margin.

I own a lot of Stihl 360s, quite a few Husq 365s, I tend to use the 365s as they pack a good bit more punch for a bit more heft. Always enjoyed the 361, never felt like paying the $ they get so I do not own one. Never cared for the 362, do not own one.

18-28” bar, if you want to enjoy the work the only choice is the Husq 365. The others could do it however the 365 will do it better.

Only saw that will oil a 28 in stock form is the Husky, and you can add a bigger top end. The saw is much bigger though.

A 361 can be fitted with a 460 oiler as a bolt on, no other mods needed.

A ported 361 with a 460 pump will pull and oil that 28 all day long, but it gets pricey. A stock one with a 460 oiler and a skip chain might be your ticket for the occasional 28” use.

I don’t think there is a stock saw that will be compact enough to use all day from 18-28” bar. Depends on how big you are and what you are comfortable with. I wouldn’t want to limb all day with an 066.

Truth be told, I already have the Husky. I was curious if it would be worth it to sell it, and get the Stihl. The only husky dealer stocking parts is about an hour and a half away from me, where as the stihl dealer is 15 min away.

Truth be told, I already have the Husky. I was curious if it would be worth it to sell it, and get the Stihl.
No
The only husky dealer stocking parts is about an hour and a half away from me, where as the stihl dealer is 15 min away.
The beauty of Huskies is that you can get almost any OEM parts on-line. What parts are you needing?

I'm in Canada just for reference, and prices are in kanukistanese bucks...

Me too, and I wouldn’t pay that much for any of those, unless it is almost like new for all of your examples. That is 70cc in awesome shape money, or 60cc like new money. Even in Canada.

And a 28” bar on 60cc is a lot too much.

Imo.

Latest posts

Back