Smaller husqvarnas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i was comparing the smaller Husqvarna saws rpm wise from the 340se, 350, 346xp, 357xp, 353, 359 there all within a 1,000 to 1,500 rpm of each other. Either one will serve us well. Ever notice this?

Your examples of models are pretty wide spread in displacement, age and power output, as well as purpose. They may run similar RPM, but behavior in the cut is going to vary greatly, the majority of users will notice the difference in actual power output moreso than peak rpm.
Then there is the 133 chassis, all small displacement high rpm screamers, very much niche market saws designed for pulpwood production, where limbing, rather than falling made up most of your day and you weren't often dealing with trees more than 16-18" on the stump. I am probably only half as effective with the 242 as my dad was, but, for the right job it is untouchable, those extra thousands of rpm are noticeable when you are turning spruce/pine/fir into 8' blocks for the forwarder to pick up, but, some people buy them because of the hype and peak rpm thinking they are some kind of monster and end up disappointed, because they are using them for the wrong purpose.

Anyone one in closed port fashion with a muffler mod and ported are good for the weight.

My point is buy the correct size saw for your needs up front, don’t price shop it’s not a time to be frugal. I wish I had someone to give me tips when I started. My first saw was a 2100 try to tame that beast with no experience.

I’m trying to explain about the smaller variety of different cc saws pertaining to there application. We have choices on some affordable used saws out there, at fair prices. We’re not going to put a 24” bar on them and expect them to bury it and cut. These saws are great for limbing and clearing small trees. I still used the smaller saw even though I had bigger ones. Longer bars beat the crap out of smaller saws. I keep the bar length down to 16”, 18” max.

Talk about the 262/266/268 /372 ect mid sized saws. These seem to be in the nitch
For the upgrade for the smaller saws. I say these because they can be found very affordable too. Unless you have really big wood to cut these will do the job.

No question is stupid or dumb?

I ask you how often do you pull the recoil starter assembly and clean and lube the spring and pulley stud? Or do you wait till the spring breaks?

A husky 266se/266xp rocks. Once I had the 266 everything smaller sat on the shelf unless I had smaller trees to clear.

A husky 266se/266xp rocks. Once I had the 266 everything smaller sat on the shelf unless I had smaller trees to clear.

Yep, for about 25 years my 266XP and 23 Compact top Handle were my 2 saw plan, before I even knew what a 2 saw plan was, or that I had one;):)

Then I found AS, and became Afflicted with CAD/CSMAD:surprised3:

My Name is Doug, and I have a problem :confused:

Doug :cheers:

When I joined AS I had one, and only one, saw...an MS260. Was responsible for cutting, hauling, splitting, and stacking about 50 ricks of firewood per year. (two outdoor wood furnaces). Well, as you can see in my sig, things have changed. Cutting wood used to be a cumbersome chore. But after learning (on this site) how to correctly sharpen chains and tune saws, my wood cutting time was reduced by at least half and the fun-factor went through the roof! Now, instead of dreading the beginning of wood cutting season (mid September) I now look forward to it!!! Hmmm....which saw will I run today??? :D:D

Back