Cant Hook Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s great. Love to see old tools brought back to life. When I was looking for a cant hook all the ones I found were to far gone. I ended up with a 60” logrite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a cant hook at an auction for $10 and I'm in the process of restoring it for use. Has anyone ever heard of this maker (Dickie) before?

View attachment 736224

View attachment 736244 View attachment 736240 View attachment 736241 View attachment 736242 View attachment 736234 View attachment 736243 View attachment 736230 View attachment 736238 View attachment 736239
I've had several types and Dixie is the best I've found by far. I bought a new one about 5 years ago as I liked my old ones and it's made with the same nice strong casting vs the cheap stamp steel, poorly welded ones that say "Made in America".

My new one is a light baby blue to medium blue color. I can post pictures if you want to see the color.
I'm thinking red, for mine. It doesn't have to be 'historically' correct for my purposes- I'm going to be using it anyhow. Would you use spray enamel or something else?

I'm thinking red, for mine. It doesn't have to be 'historically' correct for my purposes- I'm going to be using it anyhow. Would you use spray enamel or something else?
I'd use Krylon, Hammerite, or any other decent spray paint. You might primer it first for extra protection and a nicer job.

Back