Altec AA600 pistol grip question......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeclimber06

Reaction score
Have an ‘84 Altec AA600 boom truck. The controls at the bottom(on the truck) work the boom fine......the control from the buck,the pistol grip, when the safety is pushed in from the pistol grip the bucket turns to the left. Nothing else works from the pistol grip. One mechanic said it sounds like it’s bypassing fluid inside the valve and if the spool is bad then I will have wasted my money by not replacing the whole thing. I have found a whole valve replacement piece for 1600.00 but hate to spend that money if that’s not the problem. Does anyone have any clue what this sounds like?

Is this a new problem? One that has been progressivley getting worse? Have you owned the truck for a while or is it a problem in a truck you're considering buying?

I don't have the answer (beyond check the linkage, check the hydraulic pressures at the control body), but the questions/answers may help those more mechanically inclined give a diagnosis.

Back