Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0A792EF9-F96D-471A-86D4-DD8035429842.jpeg Have Mustang Mans Grandkids over for a couple days visiting. Took them out to a park that has a stream running through it, they damned it up to form a lil pond. Caught these fish in it with the boys while my daughters played with the little girl. Any ideas what these fish are? Never seen them before. Striped like a bass, smooth like a catfish, very soft mouthed. Liked worms..... I think only one picture is good enough to possibly I.D. The fish, was more about catching the smile on film than the fish at the moment 380DFC11-74AE-487D-A881-72252EAA1489.jpeg4F030A2F-AA24-452C-9CA1-492CF837FF91.jpeg

View attachment 736434 Have Mustang Mans Grandkids over for a couple days visiting. Took them out to a park that has a stream running through it, they damned it up to form a lil pond. Caught these fish in it with the boys while my daughters played with the little girl. Any ideas what these fish are? Never seen them before. Striped like a bass, smooth like a catfish, very soft mouthed. Liked worms..... I think only one picture is good enough to possibly I.D. The fish, was more about catching the smile on film than the fish at the moment View attachment 736431View attachment 736432
Looks like some type of chub. Great walleye and musky bait.

Well , I met Paul and walked the next lot to clear , a few spruce, birch and a some juniper.
Nothing glorius, a small lot so maybe a day and a half including the septic field.
Paul will pick out the stems and stack it for easy pickup [emoji16]
Hey Kiwi!
I bought a ñew Petzle, the Husqvarna muffs and visor fit perfectly, if it proves to be comfy enough I'll order the vent for later this summer.

At the beginning of the week I was cutting up a 36” pine for an older couple to get it out of their yard after it fell. The first 10’ of trunk were limbless so I cut it before limbing the rest. Cut into 18” lengths and was noodling the rounds with a NEW 590 and 20” bar. After a bit I noticed smoke coming from the saw. Quick trip to the truck and took engine cowl off while alternately blowing out flames. Scorched the engine cowl and the plastic bracket for the coil wire and kill switch wire started to melt. The cylinder was packed with noodles. Before anybody asks, I always clean my engine compartment but this saw is NEW so no chips. Best I can figure as I was in the last couple inches of the noodle cuts with the saw in the cleared noodles the flywheel was sucking in the chips sending them to the cylinder. I think from now on when noodling like this I will duct tape a piece of nylon window screen over the recoil cover to prevent this and if it starts getting covered I can brush it off. Only put it on when noodling.

Well couldn’t get yesterday off to cut wood before the rain came so got off early today and headed out while the weather was still good. Found some nice dead standing lodge pole, decided to do log lengths sense I didn’t have much time7019593B-EADE-42D5-B020-CA0D6C67E556.jpeg02B11226-D14C-4AF1-89F7-CAD343FF1B65.jpegBrought my pistol in case I had a chance to get a black bear9A49AD3B-E19E-46B1-90A1-8670AB4C4793.jpegThankfully the rain didn’t start until I was headed back785187FB-D7E9-48E2-B4A9-77C46E02A0B3.jpegThere’s a good spring along the road, lately someone usually there with a lawn chair and a book and about 6- 5 gallon jugs, no one there this time :):sweet:8D6C8173-30E3-4933-A326-57E0D137211A.jpeg

Well couldn’t get yesterday off to cut wood before the rain came so got off early today and headed out while the weather was still good. Found some nice dead standing lodge pole, decided to do log lengths sense I didn’t have much timeView attachment 736447View attachment 736448Brought my pistol in case I had a chance to get a black bearView attachment 736449Thankfully the rain didn’t start until I was headed backView attachment 736450There’s a good spring along the road, lately someone usually there with a lawn chair and a book and about 6- 5 gallon jugs, no one there this time :):sweet:View attachment 736451
How long you had that B&L scope?

I was gonna guess 20-25, I was off. Those old B&L scopes were sweet.
That’s a good guess. It’s a nice scope, pretty clear. Guy bought it from a little local gun shop where I grew up then decided he didn’t want it and returned it, owner sold it to me for like half price so kind of a scrounge ;). Miss that place, owner was a great guy.
Originally bought it for a 30-30 TC contender I bought from the same place (wish I still had that pistol). Bought the ruger 44 it’s on now at a different place on sale for $225 when I was 16, wanted a stainless 44 cause I wanted to go to Alaska someday, about 10 years later I did.

View attachment 736434 Have Mustang Mans Grandkids over for a couple days visiting. Took them out to a park that has a stream running through it, they damned it up to form a lil pond. Caught these fish in it with the boys while my daughters played with the little girl. Any ideas what these fish are? Never seen them before. Striped like a bass, smooth like a catfish, very soft mouthed. Liked worms..... I think only one picture is good enough to possibly I.D. The fish, was more about catching the smile on film than the fish at the moment View attachment 736431View attachment 736432
Creek chub or around here we call them bait. I live 2 minutes from project 70 a lake that used to draw guys from all over the east coast for walleye. Still produces good walleye and I see pics of 50" musky out of it atleast once a year.

At the beginning of the week I was cutting up a 36” pine for an older couple to get it out of their yard after it fell. The first 10’ of trunk were limbless so I cut it before limbing the rest. Cut into 18” lengths and was noodling the rounds with a NEW 590 and 20” bar. After a bit I noticed smoke coming from the saw. Quick trip to the truck and took engine cowl off while alternately blowing out flames. Scorched the engine cowl and the plastic bracket for the coil wire and kill switch wire started to melt. The cylinder was packed with noodles. Before anybody asks, I always clean my engine compartment but this saw is NEW so no chips. Best I can figure as I was in the last couple inches of the noodle cuts with the saw in the cleared noodles the flywheel was sucking in the chips sending them to the cylinder. I think from now on when noodling like this I will duct tape a piece of nylon window screen over the recoil cover to prevent this and if it starts getting covered I can brush it off. Only put it on when noodling.
Never had that problem with my 590. Seen a noodle on the air filter now and then but that's about it.

Well couldn’t get yesterday off to cut wood before the rain came so got off early today and headed out while the weather was still good. Found some nice dead standing lodge pole, decided to do log lengths sense I didn’t have much timeView attachment 736447View attachment 736448Brought my pistol in case I had a chance to get a black bearView attachment 736449Thankfully the rain didn’t start until I was headed backView attachment 736450There’s a good spring along the road, lately someone usually there with a lawn chair and a book and about 6- 5 gallon jugs, no one there this time :):sweet:View attachment 736451
We have a few springs around here. Usually stop and grab a drink if I'm going past.

Is that your carry on case for the airport??? I'm sure they would love to have a chainsaw in the overhead!
We were flying from Baltimore to Florida to go on a cruise with my cousin. There was a sign with pictures of stuff not allowed in carry on luggage, gun, knife, chainsaw!

I've had to run 2.5 hours each way, 5 or 6 times in the last two weeks, to talk to contractors for 5 minutes. The guy doing the grading had an open day today, so we scheduled. The guy bringing the gravel said he could do it by today. The when he came out Wed to see if he could get his big truck in, he said no, it would be next week because he would have to make 2 trips with a smaller truck. Called the grader guy and cancelled. He was a little POed. Had to reschedule two weeks out. The gravel guy just sent a text he already dumped the first load and was getting the second. So, the grader guy could have worked today. Aaaaaahhhhhh.

Latest posts

Back