wow, does YouTube really get on your nerves or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
YouTube can be awesome, the bc caller training standard video playlist is just awesome teaching material. It seems to be a government or insurance company funded video that makes sense. It’s incredibly detailed and is broken into something like a dozen or so parts. But it focuses on technical detail just as much as how this kind of work can kill you detail.

My point being I think if you want to learn how to fell a tree properly, this is where you would start, right?

However we get idiots like this, or other guys on YouTube who look like pro loggers, but there’s no way they are (wranglerstar *cough*). Watching them cut down a tree is just embarrassing.
It makes me angry that people make it look like they are pros but they don’t have a ticket or education in anything and they’re teaching people. People look at YouTube for a source of information and knowledge, I use it for that and as a guideline as to what I’m getting myself into. But when you have people doing one of the most dangerous jobs (felling trees) using one of the most potentially dangerous power tools and they do it all wrong and pass it off as good.. strikes a nerve.

Look at this guy,

I am by no means an expert, but I know enough to see red flags all over the place. In the end they laugh off the experience but in reality he could have been ******** in a bag for the rest of his life, or worse! Coulda destroyed his home, but he seems to have no issue with that....

Rant over

YouTube can be awesome, the bc caller training standard video playlist is just awesome teaching material. It seems to be a government or insurance company funded video that makes sense. It’s incredibly detailed and is broken into something like a dozen or so parts. But it focuses on technical detail just as much as how this kind of work can kill you detail.

My point being I think if you want to learn how to fell a tree properly, this is where you would start, right?

However we get idiots like this, or other guys on YouTube who look like pro loggers, but there’s no way they are (wranglerstar *cough*). Watching them cut down a tree is just embarrassing.
It makes me angry that people make it look like they are pros but they don’t have a ticket or education in anything and they’re teaching people. People look at YouTube for a source of information and knowledge, I use it for that and as a guideline as to what I’m getting myself into. But when you have people doing one of the most dangerous jobs (felling trees) using one of the most potentially dangerous power tools and they do it all wrong and pass it off as good.. strikes a nerve.

Look at this guy,

I am by no means an expert, but I know enough to see red flags all over the place. In the end they laugh off the experience but in reality he could have been ******** in a bag for the rest of his life, or worse! Coulda destroyed his home, but he seems to have no issue with that....

Rant over

I look at them for comedy mostly! OK we can play a game here I could stand the idiot 2 minutes! How bout you?

As a budding YouTube scum bag...

It's not always easy to convey everything in a 10 minute video, that does not excuse idiocity though.

Question everything you are told and everything you see, no matter the source.

Anyway, the worksafe bc stuff is all pretty good, they also have real film crews and a budget to work with, not some awkward kid with a broken cell phone.

IMO, the person going to YouTube for professional falling advice is the bigger idiot.

He never said he was a professional, he never insinuated that he was a professional(actually tells you the opposite and to NOT do this at home), the video's title is not even 'HOW TO'....so I don't see the problem. It's a video for entertainment, nothing more. YouTube is for entertainment, nothing more. If someone attempts to use it as professional advice, well, that's their prerogative.

I've seen worse. Like the time Bob Vila "cut down" a small Christmas tree on tv. One of the biggest atrocities I've seen. To think he got paid millions of dollars over the years as the host of different tv shows. The guy was a bumbling moron.

If only actual licensed/qualified professionals were on YouTube, not just tree cutting, but every thinkable job/career, then there would be very few videos to watch.

I agree with the other poster, most watch these sorts of videos for the comedy.

No. It shouldn't be where you start, although it is for a lot of people. Youtube can be a good learning resource, but a person needs to start with a decent baseline of knowledge so that they can sort the good info from the ********.

That’s not even that bad.

At least the tree went pretty much in the intended direction.

He was being slow and steady and watching the top... kind-of. He should be watching it more when pounding the wedge, obviously.

His cuts were a little sloppy.

The biggest mistake he made was trying to rescue his saw. Twice.

I actually think that young fellow is OK. He seems genuine and honest.

The biggest mistake he made was trying to rescue his saw. Twice.
Biggest mistake he made was making his back cut too high and then cutting almost completely through his hinge. IMO.

He seems genuine and honest.
I'm sure he didn't intentionally make the mistakes that he did. That would make them not mistakes. ;) He just doesn't know what he's doing.

I use Youtube to educate myself on lots and lots of things. TONS! It can be a powerful resource, deep with knowledge - and shouldn't be dismissed as "for entertainment and nothing more". There are experts there on just about any topic.

The skill we need there, as is anywhere on the web, is to be able to discriminate and determine truth from BS.

Frequently the comments will have even more tips - or "out" the video as BS.

You need that same skill right here on Arborsite too, and so I agree wit the OP.

Latest posts

Back