Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The south part of our province has already gotten calls for grass fires. After this heavy rain this weekend, there won't be much snow up here, either. I'm the only one working this weekend/Holiday but we're getting 50mm+ of rain. We do have an engine and a couple Mark III pumps ready to go just in case....

The Big Boys of SoCal
00875b32452804df8fc5be8ec0fe1116.jpg

Erik

Well kept D8Rs, those machines (and trucks) are probably twenty years old now. I’d guess that one just left shop before the season really kicks off? Real clean and shiny but the thing that makes it real obvious in my mind is how little wear there is on those grousers.

Today was an interesting day around our cabin... Two escaped debris burns and two more fires up the road that went about 3 acres which is pretty impressive for amount green up there. Another 3-4 weeks that would be at least 50 acres.

Screenshot_2019-05-08-19-29-19.png

Today was an interesting day around our cabin... Two escaped debris burns and two more fires up the road that went about 3 acres which is pretty impressive for amount green up there. Another 3-4 weeks that would be at least 50 acres.

View attachment 734828

da33b4cb258255a25389e98d093eac8c.jpg

Green, WET and 4’-7’ tall
Neighbor, just past the Eucs got his 40hp kubota stuck trying to mow.

Erik

Today. May 10th, 2019. Did I tell you it was getting dry, or did I tell ya!
May freaking TENTH!
may10.jpg

About 60 acres, near Cottage Grove, Oregon. The Brush Slasher is an Oracle! Yes, it just maybe could be a long summer. How long? LOOOOOOOOONG. That's the Row river in the foreground, just downstream from Dorena Reservoir.

Cause yet to be determined, but we've had a dozen escaped burns locally in the past 10 days... AND this could be power lines... "Holy ConCOW" (Paradise Camp Fire), say it ain't so!

Tonight... she got into some slash. Makes me go ... oh yeah.
night-night.jpg

Let's hope they all get caught.

Something's fishy up at Paradice too - I was blown away on a visit this week - it looks as though almost nothing's been done. I even found a dead cat - still in the road. Those poor people.

Not to long ago an endangered frog brought everything to a stop and I guess cleanup crew's can't work in the rain for whatever reason.

Not to long ago an endangered frog brought everything to a stop and I guess cleanup crew's can't work in the rain for whatever reason.

We've visited the Delta, Carr, and Camp Fires, and I've seen a lot of black other places. Nothing prepared me for the (ongoing) devastation of the Camp fire. This place takes pain and misery to a whole new level.

Paradice2.jpg

These are just representative. No new buildings, few cleared lots.

Paradice1.jpg

It's just as if everyone left - never to return. Street after street, block after block.

Paradice3.jpg

It's unlike anywhere else in as much as even the basic services were completely destroyed or in the case of the water system, contaminated. Have to say, at least there was power crews stringing line.

Places with money - the Mendocino Complex, the Thomas fire - people with money (and some remaining infrastructure) rebuild fast compared to this. Paradise? Retirees, fixed incomes, remote. It's going to be a tough road for them. The totality - shook me pretty damned hard anyway - I feel for these folks.

Just rebuilt one of our tenders from the ground up. Here's the finished prototype, ready to be released to the wild to find out what I need to fix. This design and build is entirely mine, except for some of the wiring inside of the box. I cut a lot of extraneous material out and consolidated a bunch more.

EDIT: clarified some details

2919fc1d6953f187702a919cb4a9e6d9.jpg

Today. May 10th, 2019. Did I tell you it was getting dry, or did I tell ya!
May freaking TENTH!

About 60 acres, near Cottage Grove, Oregon. The Brush Slasher is an Oracle! Yes, it just maybe could be a long summer. How long? LOOOOOOOOONG. That's the Row river in the foreground, just downstream from Dorena Reservoir.

Cause yet to be determined, but we've had a dozen escaped burns locally in the past 10 days... AND this could be power lines... "Holy ConCOW" (Paradise Camp Fire), say it ain't so!

Tonight... she got into some slash. Makes me go ... oh yeah.

Which is strange because the Cottage Grove area almost never has fires. I worked at the district in 1992 and was at the Eugene BLM in 1994. We had one fire on Sawtooth Mountain in 1992 that got to about 7 acres and two fires in Lorane
in 1994 that got up to 13 and 40 acres and that was pretty much all the fire we had in that area from 1991-96.

We've visited the Delta, Carr, and Camp Fires, and I've seen a lot of black other places. Nothing prepared me for the (ongoing) devastation of the Camp fire. This place takes pain and misery to a whole new level.

Paradice2.jpg

Paradice1.jpg

It's just as if everyone left - never to return. Street after street, block after block.

Paradice3.jpg

It's unlike anywhere else in as much as even the basic services were completely destroyed or in the case of the water system, contaminated. Have to say, at least there was power crews stringing line.

Places with money - the Mendocino Complex, the Thomas fire - people with money (and some remaining infrastructure) rebuild fast compared to this. Paradise? Retirees, fixed incomes, remote. It's going to be a tough road for them. The totality - shook me pretty damned hard anyway - I feel for these folks.

Super sad and completely unbelievable if you haven’t seen it in person

This is Coffe Park in Santa Rosa that lost 1400 homes in one neighborhood in the 2017 Tubbs Fire
d92f4554f2090e6326059baa0ab60108.jpg

And Bennet Vally area we were assigned to the first night with 5 Engines ...150 houses, power lines down, no water, trees across road. 25 houses remained 12 hours later
c484b9c0ea83d274fd73880b76070827.jpg
the route in
feedb4faf9044499baa1bb3c92087084.jpg
we got relieved for a rest day 84 hr later...
let’s hope for the best this year

Erik

Very cool Nate - what's the pump unit on that?

23HP B&S Vanguard coupled to a 4-stage Wildfire head via a speed reducer. I don't trust their published numbers at all because I've seen 400PSI static and moved 150GPM at ~65PSI to drain 1000 gallons in about 7 minutes. That is, under ideal conditions with shortest possible hose lengths and a nozzle after every possible wye after every 100-ft length of 1 1/2" hose for a total of I think 9 nozzles each asking 50GPM for a math problem not accommodated neatly by a chart. At any rate, Overhead is concerned all of a sudden that it can't draft fast enough. I don't understand.

Paradice2.jpg

Paradice1.jpg

Paradice3.jpg

When I worked there last November it was mind boggling. I had seen nothing like it before. It was one of the few events where it was hard to separate yourself from the event unfolding and focus on the task at hand.

Back