Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All packed up and ready to go to the CT GTG tomorrow. Boy, these PU Trucks aren't all they are cracked up to be … 20 saws and it is almost full!!! What would I have done if I purchased the Ranger??? Would have had to have towed the Mustang behind it with the rest of my saws!

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_164317122_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190517_164317122_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 36
Picked up a load of cherry on the way home. Got 3 or 4 more like it waiting at the same location. @chipper1 Brett, this wasn't a CL score - it was even easier. :cool: A buddy called me asking me if I wanted it. So an alternate route home it was tonight. Of course being a buddy it did cost me the traditional firewood trading gift: a 5-pack of beer. :cheers:20190517_192946.jpg

I had a Super Wiz 77 and it had standard 1/2 pitch chain. Looked exactly like my 404, just a little bigger. Remember that the Wiz had about a 6000 RPM range with a 2:1 gear reduction, so the chain is only going about 3000RPM. If you look, it's throwing some pretty good sized chips. I bet if you stick a stop watch on it, that cut is faster than it sounds.
Something else I left out about the Wiz, it looks like a saw from the 50's or 60's at best. They actually made it up until the year I graduated from high school, 1974, so it's not the fossil it looks to be.

All packed up and ready to go to the CT GTG tomorrow. Boy, these PU Trucks aren't all they are cracked up to be … 20 saws and it is almost full!!! What would I have done if I purchased the Ranger??? Would have had to have towed the Mustang behind it with the rest of my saws!

8’ bed my friend.

Ill never NOT have one

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

So where are you going with all your friends?

View attachment 736577From the white mark going right for 15 drive links it’s .050 and non safety. From the green mark going left they’re .063 and safety chain. ?
Chains are made up from components (cutters, drive links, rivets) and these can be recombined in a number of creative ways.

It is possible, but rare, for a mainstream manufacturer to mix them up (although they have dozens and dozens of different little pieces to track), or get them in the wrong order. But anyone with a spinner and breaker (or the equivalent) can mess up, or just not care.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/spinning-chain-fess-up.170216/

I once traded some used chains to a fellow A.S. member not realizing that half of some loops were low kickback ('safety') and half were standard drive links. He kindly pointed it out.

I have bought a number of 'once used never sharpened' or new old stock (NOS) off eBay. One 'new' loop I mounted backwards on the bar. Only slightly embarrassed (everyone has done it, right?), I took off the bar, flipped the chain, and remounted it: still backwards!!! Upon inspection, about 12 - 16 drive links of chain had been spun in the opposite direction. Probably why the chain had been put back on the shelf, and sold as NOS when the eBay seller bought out the dealership!

Some people just do not care about mixed components. I have seen many different brands of cutters mixed on the same loops, 3/8 low profile tie straps used on on full sized 3/8 chain, and my favorite: the Pop rivet!

Philbert

So , yesterday on the way home I got passed by an SUV and I saw something beside it that I had no idea what it was , had to go home and use my Googlefoo to figure out ,,,
Mystery solved !!!

shadow.jpg

:innocent:

Here's a deal for us Northerners at PA

20190517_182919.jpg

8’ bed my friend.

Ill never NOT have one

Actually, I purposely did not go for that because I did not want a larger vehicle, and I need the extended cab. Despite my joking, this thing fits my needs and so far MPGs have been VG.

When you own a ranger, the world, including GTG's come to YOU!

View attachment 736577 Pick your brains. Neighbor asked me to sharpen a chain for him. It’s on an 026 Pro. From the white mark going right for 15 drive links it’s .050 and non safety. From the green mark going left they’re .063 and safety chain. Never seen anything like it. He said he bought it at our local creamsicle dealer. @Philbert?
Dealers are only as good as their staff and they should be told so they can track down who spun that loop and show them the door.

69174CC7-B0C2-4031-9C00-796008A80E5F.jpeg D4AC6085-56F3-4554-9614-248FAA07FB46.jpeg Uncle Mike, nice looking load there (even if they’re the wrong color), have fun and be safe. The boys want to go fishing again tomorrow so I’ll send you some more pictures. They had a blast riding the quads today and fishing and Thomas is quite the ball player, he really likes to shoot hoops.

View attachment 736604 View attachment 736605 Uncle Mike, nice looking load there (even if they’re the wrong color), have fun and be safe. The boys want to go fishing again tomorrow so I’ll send you some more pictures. They had a blast riding the quads today and fishing and Thomas is quite the ball player, he really likes to shoot hoops.
Get a bunch of those crappie and send them this way!

So , yesterday on the way home I got passed by an SUV and I saw something beside it that I had no idea what it was , had to go home and use my Googlefoo to figure out ,,,
Mystery solved !!!

shadow.jpg

:innocent:

Here's a deal for us Northerners at PA

View attachment 736585
That's a good one Dan.
The other night I was joking about seeing my shadow, what's funny about it is that it was 10pm, the moon was pretty bright lol.

Picked up a load of cherry on the way home. Got 3 or 4 more like it waiting at the same location. @chipper1 Brett, this wasn't a CL score - it was even easier. :cool: A buddy called me asking me if I wanted it. So an alternate route home it was tonight. Of course being a buddy it did cost me the traditional firewood trading gift: a 5-pack of beer. :cheers:View attachment 736582
Nice load, that's the way to get them.
Now about this 5-pack of beer thing, is that something new, or did one come up missing on the way to his house:cheers:.

Back