Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric12421

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a dolmar ps-510 that I've had for 5 or so years that I absolutely love but I've been thinking about picking up a bigger saw. Everyone on this site seems to love the 7900 so I've been keeping my eye out on criagslist for one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the one below? I'm not huge on the lack of a chain brake, but I'd appreciate anyone else's input on this one!

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/grd/d/plainfield-dolmar-7900/6887353764.html

Thanks,

Eric

Hello,

I have a dolmar ps-510 that I've had for 5 or so years that I absolutely love but I've been thinking about picking up a bigger saw. Everyone on this site seems to love the 7900 so I've been keeping my eye out on criagslist for one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the one below? I'm not huge on the lack of a chain brake, but I'd appreciate anyone else's input on this one!

Thanks,

Eric
The price is good but check it over with a fine tooth comb. Check for gas leaks and pull the muffler and look at the piston and ring. Another clue can be pop the air cover and see if carb compartment is full of chips/fines. Pull the clutch cover and check the steel and nylon chain guides for bad wear. I have 2 79xx and love them.

Hello,

Thanks,

Eric
Pretty sure he has that saw on eBay right now for $150 plus $50 shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/dolmar-ps-...rentrq:cd1ae8f216a0acc7c66da6c7ffc26b58|iid:1

Why is it that every broken used saw I see for sale had a branch fall on it?
Or a big log rolled on top of it, or had a skidder run over it while backing up, or dropped from a tree by a climber, or either run over by a pickup truck or fell off the truck's bed at high speed... etc., etc.

I just ordered a Dolmar oil pump from them. It was shipped to me directly from Makita.
So $100 bucks for a case half and what ever the brake parts cost plus gaskets , seals. Might be as well off to buy a home Depot 6400 rental and upgrade it to 7900.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I just ordered a Dolmar oil pump from them. It was shipped to me directly from Makita.
So $100 bucks for a case half and what ever the brake parts cost plus gaskets , seals. Might be as well off to buy a home Depot 6400 rental and upgrade it to 7900.

If there’s nothing else wrong. At least you can go over the HD saw before you buy it.

I see there's a big difference in price between the OEM and AM kit.
I go by and look at a pretty nice Makita 6421 every now and then. Could probably get it under 300 if it's still there.
But the only reason I'd get it would be to put a 7900 kit on it. And because it's blue. Really nice condition saw also.

Probably just hold out for the ever elusive 9010...or a 390.

HD around here are using 6100 now. Missed out on the last 6400 they had.

Or a big log rolled on top of it, or had a skidder run over it while backing up, or dropped from a tree by a climber, or either run over by a pickup truck or fell off the truck's bed at high speed... etc., etc.

But its always stated it was just a branch that fell on it, do trees just shed branches when saws are near....LOL

Back