Ported 372 muffler mod (pipe size?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just finished up porting a 372 cylinder and have a muffler I made up with a .80 ID piece of tubing. Is that a large enough opening or should I go larger?

CFB2D387-E4A5-42F7-8357-5757BB234FB0.jpeg Yea 1” is the way to go. The original hole is around 5/8 so no point in going 3/4 imo.
I used 1” tubing, worked very well and made a large throttle response difference.

Attachments

• 970FB3CC-7263-46FA-AC20-CD598119110A.jpeg
    970FB3CC-7263-46FA-AC20-CD598119110A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
I have to say that your image shows your talent. Your brass line is almost unnoticeable and the fact that the tubing is stainless and shows no bluing from brazing is also very impressive.
Thanks but I can’t take credit for it. Mike Gott from Iowa did it, he’s done a couple for me, great guy.

I used two 1/2 inch ID pipes for mine. Breaths well!
39cddd5bab81f923251874ee98d4201a.jpg
cdec3f86cb320bf67ea438f7c394ac77.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

No pipe here all mine were work saws but we ran dual 288 deflectors with arrestor screens for cutting timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see it happening. I have seen the bark smoking a little on long cuts with this mod but for me it's not a problem with size and type of wood I cut.
It only takes a couple seconds for a good cherry to ignite on the wood around here, that's my own personal experience. One thing that helps is larger dogs to keep off the wood, but it's still a risk.
I'm not saying it's a bad mod. I mentioned it because that aspect can easily be overlooked and should be factored in when deciding on whether or not to do it.

It only takes a couple seconds for a good cherry to ignite on the wood around here, that's my own personal experience. One thing that helps is larger dogs to keep off the wood, but it's still a risk.
I'm not saying it's a bad mod. I mentioned it because that aspect can easily be overlooked and should be factored in when deciding on whether or not to do it.
I can see that point, I done for some loggers to even. I’ve seen sparks come out of the screens too though. To be honest I’ve seen more sparks coming off a bar than a muffler. Yes my oilers work, chain was sharp and all too so don’t even start that scenario

Latest posts

Back