Stihl MS170 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffyfiveo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have an ms170 and have 2 questions:

1. Is there any advantage in moving from .043 gauge chain to .050 gauge??

2. I would like to put a metal bumper spike on the saw...any suggestions??

Thanks!

Do you have to change chain gauges ( say that 3x’s fast) in order to put a spike on?

Are you going to 325” or 3/8” 050” ga.? I have a little 170 but I’m not sure it can the heavier chain. The pico chain is missing teeth. I just got the saw.

Are you going to 325” or 3/8” 050” ga.? I have a little 170 but I’m not sure it can the heavier chain. The pick chain is missing teeth. I just got the saw.
It’s suggested to put the wt-215 carb (which fits the ms250) on it so you can richen it up and tune it right and open up the muffler so it will breath better and have more power!
Look up muffler mods fer the ms170 and ms180 on here and it talks about it!
I just ordered two replacement carbs fer my f-n-l and I! $9 something apiece!

I have a MS170 that I picked up used from a buddy last year. It cuts pretty good with the stock .043" gauge chain. You just need to remember what that saw is meant for. Its a low CC, lightweight saw that's perfect for limbing and small stuff. I'm actually quite impressed how well it cuts. It's become my go-to saw for clearing shooting lanes for my blinds and trimming/cutting Christmas trees.

It works fine with the .050 gauge chain too, and the cutters don't bend in hard wood!!
HT, do you need to change out the sprocket?
There’s a video on YTube where the guy changed to a .050 gauge bar and chain on his MS170 and left the stock sprocket, but I would like your opinion!
Thanks!

Something I've noticed with my 170's is the oiler is a little slow with regular bar oil. I run 30wt and it does much better. Also unlike some other saws it doesn't leak with 30wt. These are small limbing saws not really for felling. I believe this is what I put on mine and it has worked great. And its on sale. As far as changing the sprocket, if the old chain has mated to it I would change it

Oregon 105667 14-Inch Replacement Chainsaw Bar & Chain Combo For Stihl https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CFLFQ6/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_AUy4Cb667GVEY

Darn I just purchased a pico bar n chain with a rim and drum for my Stihl 170. I want to race it against my husky and partner saws.

Something I've noticed with my 170's is the oiler is a little slow with regular bar oil. I run 30wt and it does much better. Also unlike some other saws it doesn't leak with 30wt. These are small limbing saws not really for felling. I believe this is what I put on mine and it has worked great. And its on sale. As far as changing the sprocket, if the old chain has mated to it I would change it

Oregon 105667 14-Inch Replacement Chainsaw Bar & Chain Combo For Stihl https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CFLFQ6/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_AUy4Cb667GVEY
Great! Thanks for the link! But are you saying the sprocket doesn’t need to be changed as long as it’s not damaged?
I’m buying a new ms170 and plan on using the stock bar and chain untill the chain Is done, then take HarleyT’s suggestion and switch over!
So the stock sprocket will fit the conversion?
Thanks!

Back