McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well had a mixed day today cut the biggest tree I ever cut but not with the right saw though the dam 800 was running like a dog the zama needs a rebuild so threw the 24inch on a 7-10 and yea it pulls it but still a 20 inch saw in my opinion.

Didn't get to many pictures but anyway...20190519_144702.jpg 20190519_153243.jpg 20190519_153440.jpg 20190519_153359.jpg

About 60 inch I recon and 24 is a struggle especially getting the notch right I'm still not big enough on this but it had a bit of a lean so was ok. The old 7-10 saved the day

That tree isn't short of branches. Nice job.

Cheers yeah big shelter belt macros always do that if aloud too the buggers

Nice job Jethro! I know I've never cut a tree that big.Now here's a silly question - how the hell are you going to get it home?Lol
Ed

Haha in very small pieces ready for the splitter.

I was able to visit Wayne Sutton yesterday in Washington, I have a few other photos in the Vintage Chainsaw Museum thread but thought I'd put up a few specific ones here as well.

The first thing you see when you walk in the door. Rich Dugan gave that one to Wayne, I had the other two he sold but traded one to Bob Cornwell (McBob) a few years ago. I will make an effort to get it back if I can find the auction thread.

20190518_151547.jpg

Three button 3-25, one of the earliest one man saws McCulloch ever built.

20190518_152940.jpg

If you can focus in this one you may be able to see an NOS SP125.

20190518_153821.jpg

This drone engine came out of the wreckage of a downed drone. McCulloch was building the drone engines and engines for Reed Prentice saws before they started manufacturing saws under their own brand. If you look carefully at the drone engine and a Reed Prentice engine you will certainly see the similarities.

20190518_154038.jpg

More McCulloch mystery. Bob's wife was a Briggs (Briggs & Stratton), and his uncle was Ralph Evinrude. Not to be outdone, McCulloch bought Scott Atwater and continued building outboard engines under the McCulloch brand. Their move to Lake Havasu, AZ provided them with an ideal testing spot for their outboards. This one is complete with the McCulloch testing station.

20190518_154307.jpg

A less familiar product line were their lawnmowers. This one was a twin blade model, another somewhat infamous example was their involvement with the Flymo...check it our for yourself.,

20190518_154955.jpg

And just to make it clear, I was really there and in theme.

20190518_151502.jpg

Mark

I was able to visit Wayne Sutton yesterday in Washington, I have a few other photos in the Vintage Chainsaw Museum thread but thought I'd put up a few specific ones here as well.

The first thing you see when you walk in the door. Rich Dugan gave that one to Wayne, I had the other two he sold but traded one to Bob Cornwell (McBob) a few years ago. I will make an effort to get it back if I can find the auction thread.

View attachment 736981

Three button 3-25, one of the earliest one man saws McCulloch ever built.

View attachment 736982

If you can focus in this one you may be able to see an NOS SP125.

View attachment 736983

This drone engine came out of the wreckage of a downed drone. McCulloch was building the drone engines and engines for Reed Prentice saws before they started manufacturing saws under their own brand. If you look carefully at the drone engine and a Reed Prentice engine you will certainly see the similarities.

View attachment 736984

More McCulloch mystery. Bob's wife was a Briggs (Briggs & Stratton), and his uncle was Ralph Evinrude. Not to be outdone, McCulloch bought Scott Atwater and continued building outboard engines under the McCulloch brand. Their move to Lake Havasu, AZ provided them with an ideal testing spot for their outboards. This one is complete with the McCulloch testing station.

View attachment 736985

A less familiar product line were their lawnmowers. This one was a twin blade model, another somewhat infamous example was their involvement with the Flymo...check it our for yourself.,

View attachment 736986

And just to make it clear, I was really there and in theme.

View attachment 736988

Mark
G'day fellas. It's Bob Cornwell's Son, David Cornwell here. I am posting my Sister's snow-mobile engine for sale on her behalf, as I know more about it and about the general topic of mcculloch engines.

The gist of it is this. My sister wants to auction it, but the fees on ebay would cripple her current endevours with a project not connected to chainsaws in general. SO we have decided to post it on here and let the serious collectors and new collectors alike, take a look and make an offer.

We have a general reserve price in mind, but all offers will be considered and will be responded to within the week.

The engine is brand-new-old-stock, still in box, with all of its original parts and packaging plastic wrapping stuff (though for safety reasons it will be packed with extra foam and other soft stuff for transport purposes)

Complete engine, brand new in box. One of Four that I am aware are currently known of.

The price is currently set at three thousand dollars, and waiting for offers.
for future reference, three thousand dollars is not the asking price. its the suggested starting bid. Based on careful analasys of other saw prices compared to rarity, condition, and useablity (the ability to still use the engine productively). this saw is rare as rocket horse droppings and its absolutely not likely that there will ever be another one found in such condition. its also a fully functional engine that spare parts exist for, and can be used on a project designed for light work or leisure useage. if this is used for something, saw for example a hotsaw, and something goes wrong, spare parts wont be found instantly. But they DO exist, and they CAN be found.

Additional photos can and will be added, specific photos can be requested and certain requests can be met within reason. The engine will not be pulled apart, but I will take a photo of the view through the exhaust ports. stuff like that.View attachment 735965 View attachment 735965 View attachment 735965 View attachment 735965 View attachment 735965 View attachment 735965 View attachment 735966

Ron

Mark:
This is on a facebook site:

Cath Cornwellto Vintage Chainsaw Collectors Corner (Buy, Sell, Trade, Discuss)
1 hr

Hi everyone just wanted to let everyone know im going to list my dad Bob Cornwell's bp399t on ebay which i believe is the best engine in his collection. No time wasters. This is for the serious collector. The only one in australia, prestine condition and is still in the original box it came in! Reasonable offers for the right price will be considered.

60048003_1247298128772737_6930206392414371840_n.jpg

Brian

Nice looking 610. Cannot have many hours on it

Brian

Thanks Brian. It was a bit dirty but it cleaned up real nice and I agree, I don’t believe it was used much.

I needed a cheap bar for my Pro Mac 10-10 and found here in the forum that tractor supply sold a bar and chain that is basically the D176 mount for $40 so I was Going to run and grab one yesterday. Before I did I ran across that 610 with that fairly new Oregon bar and chain for $50. So I got the saw with bar and chain for $50 rather than just a bar/chain at $40 so I’m happy.

The guy said he couldn’t get it to run. Had great compression and had spark. Took it home. Gas smelled old. Dumped and flushed the tank. Filled up with fresh 32:1 and it fired on 2nd pull. Going to put a carb kit in just to be safe.

My dads 610 has the 2 thin rings on the piston. This one has 2 rings but there normal size. Here are a few more pics.

B1CCFF45-DB12-430D-8747-0DF3035EB585.jpeg C0D5ADFA-EFD1-4B3C-BDB2-3C03AF5D9073.jpeg 0F64F00F-085E-42CF-8A0B-A5E67A5E4657.jpeg F108A9F4-73FA-4E8B-8C4F-06607F165134.jpeg E2093146-676D-48DD-AFD2-A4853C80002D.jpeg

A lot of people call them a McCinderblock because they are about the size of a cinder block and weigh about as much. I have one and really like it. They are torque monsters. I have a 24" bar on it and it will just keep pulling. It has no trouble with that 24" bar what so ever. It actually is about the right size bar for it.

I would just for the heck of it clean and kit the carb. Just to keep from having issues down the road. Also replace the fuel filter. Just puts it in shape to cut for the season.
Congratulations on a good find. 40.00 was a great buy on this saw.
Brian

A lot of people call them a McCinderblock because they are about the size of a cinder block and weigh about as much. I have one and really like it. They are torque monsters. I have a 24" bar on it and it will just keep pulling. It has no trouble with that 24" bar what so ever. It actually is about the right size bar for it.

I would just for the heck of it clean and kit the carb. Just to keep from having issues down the road. Also replace the fuel filter. Just puts it in shape to cut for the season.
Congratulations on a good find. 40.00 was a great buy on this saw.
Brian

Yeah I have heard the McCinderblock name for them before. I have cut a lot of wood with my Dads. I like the 610s as well. Only issues we seem to have with them are the oilers. My dad has put several on his.

Hi

I have a McCulloch 7-10 on my wall that I was thinking of restoring….I would like to have it fully operational but conscious that there would be next to no parts support – is there any interchangeability with newer models with regards to bearings / crank seals / piston rings etc?

Basically can this saw be restored, or am I going to have to powder coat it and reassemble with new consumable items and run it as it is?

I’ve been restoring a Stihl 031av so I’ve had the frustration of not being able to source all the parts I want at reasonable prices and the McCulloch being older would be considerably worse.

Regards

Adam

Back