Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The time and effort to amass so much is impressive. Something else I noticed is how clean they all are. I haven't found anything like that around here for chainsaws. I did find one for motorcycles though, I spent hours just in amazement. His where all for sale also.

By the way the siding looks great.

They are still having issues with the drywall, some cracking in the corners and bubbling at the joints. Contractors have resorted to bringing in a couple of industrial size dehumidifiers and cranked the heat up to 85 degrees. So, we will be waiting for a few more weeks at least before I can start moving anything in. To start to prepare for the move I have begun to go through my haul from the Higby auction last year and try to get some bits organized before the move. I started with the variety of chain connector bits...a lot of stuff here.

20190525_170200_001.jpg

I haven't even gotten into this one yet.

20190525_170242.jpg

I also have this box that I have collected, the bags are mostly McCulloch part numbers for bits and pieces.

20190525_170222.jpg

In addition, I have an assortment of .354 pitch McCulloch chain parts in the attic, and perhaps 15 small parts organizer drawers of my own stuff to add. I will be well covered for 1/4", .325, .354, 3/8LP, 3/8, .404, 7/16, and 1/2" parts of various descriptions. I will be a bit short on some Stihl connector parts so I will have to hunt down some .325/.063 and 3/8/.050 connector sets. My hope is to be able to repair or replace most any chain that someone walks in with.

Mark

Bob McCulloch had great plans for the snowmobile/ATV engines with single, two, four, and even six cylinder models planed. They built some single cylinder engines as evidenced in the attached photos. I have a copy of a letter where Bob was discussing with his staff their need to move the operation to Arizona and the introduction of the snowmobile/ATV engines as well as a line of moped engines he thought could be as important as chainsaws to the business.

Saw King got ahold of three of the BP-399T somehow, gave one to Wayne Sutton and sold two on e-Bay. I ended up with both of them and traded one to Bob Cornwell (McBob) in Australia for a Solo Twin.

I think it was emissions that did them in, with the supercharging effect they did certainly push a lot of mixture into the combustion chamber, but pushed a good bit of unburnt fuel out the exhaust as well.

McCulloch_BP_engine_484x686.jpg

pic066.jpg

Mark

Emissions weren't a big concern then. Problem was in early '70s the sled industry peaked at well over 100 manufacturers. You had to make a sled that performed, was reliable and innovative to succeed. Bob Mcculloch was no doubt a genius, but think he was too late. If you put that sled I posted up against a Yamaha, Arctic Cat, Scorpion, Rupp, Skiroule, etc of the same year you see how far behind he was already starting. Snowmobilers are some of the most brand loyal people there are, it takes quite a machine to make them leave their preferred brand.

By the mid '70s most manufacturers were gone and you were down to a dozen or so that included the 4 that exist today.

Sure looks like a nice place. Guessing it's one of the few new buildings going up in Dike? Nice to see. Just down the road from me. I am between Waverly and Shell Rock. Saying hello if I have not yet. Troy

Emissions weren't a big concern then. Problem was in early '70s the sled industry peaked at well over 100 manufacturers. You had to make a sled that performed, was reliable and innovative to succeed. Bob Mcculloch was no doubt a genius, but think he was too late. If you put that sled I posted up against a Yamaha, Arctic Cat, Scorpion, Rupp, Skiroule, etc of the same year you see how far behind he was already starting. Snowmobilers are some of the most brand loyal people there are, it takes quite a machine to make them leave their preferred brand.

By the mid '70s most manufacturers were gone and you were down to a dozen or so that included the 4 that exist today.
My understanding of the BP snowmobile engines was that they were being developed for snowmobile ice racing and they were on par for performance of anything in the same cc range at the time. Problem lies with the rules since it used a balanced piston they had to include that in the engine size. So a 399 cc engine was competing against 500cc engines. The project was eventually pulled and these engines were known as ghost motors till around 2005. There is one in the racing snowmobile museum in a sled that was being used in the day.

Mark- See you tomorrow afternoon with Dad---Really looking forward to the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rheima

The drywall crew finished their part yesterday and hopefully with the dehumidifiers going there will be no more problems. Today when I walked past I saw both the plumbing/HVAC were working, as were the electrical contractors.

20190530_115612.jpg

HVAC were installing the duct that will run above the display area.

20190530_115714.jpg

The electrical crew has been installing switches and receptacles, and covers in the rooms that have already been painted...

20190530_115829.jpg

...or just taping them for the painters in rooms that still need the final paint.

20190530_115913.jpg

The attic is also ready for the painters to return.

20190530_120027.jpg

Another painting contractor will be responsible for the floors and will be coming to town next week to get started.

Mark

This is the coolest non-saw saw thread that I’ve gone through in a while. Can’t wait to see what this looks like when it’s done!

Progress has been very slooooow waiting on the contractor to complete polishing the concrete floor in the display area. There will be a lot of cleanup and some repainting needed to make it presentable, meeting with the owner tomorrow to review.

Meanwhile, the general contractor has finished up most of the exterior trim including the nice cedar in the parking / overhang area. While trying to stay active in some positive way they put up some of the wall cabinets in the new shop. The base units and counter top will have to wait until the floors are painted and fully cured. I will have a laundry sink on the right adjacent to the door way so I can clean off the worst of the grime before I enter the other spaces in the building.

20190710_204202.jpg

Mark

7 weeks of polishing the concrete in the front room and it is still not done right. I am growing impatient...

Like most small towns in the Midwest our city of Dike has its festival called Watermelon Days which we are celebrating this weekend. Since so many folks are curious what the building will be used for, I thought I'd give them a sense today. Just for comparison, I've include a photo from last year.

Last year - a piece of ground

2.JPG

This year, can't set up inside yet...my younger son Josh out front

20190810_111528.jpg

We just managed to put the large McCulloch sign up on Friday.

Mark

Back