Chainsaw only runs /starts on full choke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

famreeks

Reaction score
HI, Im trying to start my Talon small chainsaw and tune it up to cut better.
I have read about the Idle screw , the H and L screws.

My saw starts on full throttle and after a minute or 3 of warm up I try to go to 'run' mode' . When I get from Full choke to Half Choke it revs really fast and then when I move to normal run IT just dies. Stops dead.

The H and L have been wound all the way in and back 1 full turn.

Any ideas where I should start to fix the start issue?

No I haven't . I have cleaned the air filter. I also replaced the little filter in the tank before trying to tune it up.

I have turned the H and L out a little bit more and seems to now run in normal run mode but after a minute of running if I try to use choke it dies - I guess thats normal . I will wait for it to cool down and then try starting again.

ALSO when I revved it up with trigger it would flattens right out and would never be able to cut. Is that the H or L screw that needs turning out more?

Cheers

It sounds like it's starved for fuel or leaking air, that's why it runs better with the choke on.
If it used to run good but sat for a long time, you might have varnish so take the carb apart and clean it.
Turning out the H and L screws should help but it's folly to tune a saw before cleaning it out, you want to tune it after making sure the carb, fuel filter, air filter are all clean.
If that doesn't fix it you might have an air leak, either the crank seal or a gasket.
My guess is dirty carb and it's the easy thing to do first.

Yep a AC3100 model 38cc petrol. How would I go about working out a replacement carb ? Is it a model on the carb to look for?

It does look like a MAC 3200. Yes, carb will have model #. Eg: Zama CIQ M36. Then, you can order GND kit -2 gaskets and 2 diaphragms. It will surely need them.

Thanks Mac 3200 wow exact!!

I have seemingly got it working with some luck I expect more than my skills . I will put the bar back on and chain and work on the idling.

Will look at buying the kit or replacement carb to have for future.

Thanks for the help

Back