Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm Officially starting to burn wood for the summer! still have to clean out and build firewood setting for ez lite for next cold nights, 5/6 mo off... my 2 indoor urban wood burning fireplaces... could do some minor patching, but doubt I will... clean up where a few chunks of wood had been during colder nights. none to rack, burned it all. if we get any cold nights, I will mostly likely believe **** froze over! lol...

most of next week will be 91f or higher... there is a scrounge down the street. nice pile oak branches from a big tall oak with a rotten crotch. better than half that tree's big trunk weight out of the Y is above the rotten crotch. destined to fall soon. prob not too much later. appears to be a lot of nice useable no-need-to-split sized firewood. trimming required. I will ck it out in daylight later on.
Real sheot weather all weekend here. Mondays sposed to be our 1 dry day. None of those tornados here so can be thankful of that!

A little oak, a little cherry makes it a good down day. Made a pork loin and some scalloped potatoes with ham. Just kickin back for the evening!
top 1000 baby names uk

Yeah it’s nice that people more or less get along in the firewood forum. Nobody feels the need to chest thump.

I sometimes do miss the crusty characters but I don’t miss the drama of the days of old. And getting the saw groupies to move over to the other site was a blessing in disguise.
Every time someone brings up a 10 year old thread and I read it through, I see a bunch of names of good guys that are gone, and then you have the other ones.

Not a bad notch on this one, went a little deep on the left side. Didn't matter, had a tag line up in this one too. I often drop trees over old driveways. I'll put a 10' log on both sides so the big log can't get the drive. Don't take the chance on a nice drive.
Chhf6n2.jpg

eKgN9VH.jpg

Been rebuilding and playing with the processor I bought. They cut some corners or didn't do enough thinking on a few things but I've got it working good now. Still haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or resell it. My other big splitter does a nice job on 16" and I can cut 36" wood with it too so it will get more hours per year anyway. This thing isn't that fast and I really don't have time to do custom work with it. It is nice to do everything with the tractor and then the processor instead of all by hand but it's still a big chunk of change sitting there most of the time. 20190519_103202.jpg 20190519_103154.jpg 20190519_103137.jpg

Crappie is good. This walleye my son caught this weekend woulda been awesome but it was out of the slot size. Had to go back.

View attachment 737082
Had one of my best fishing days in a long time. Took grandson and his girlfriend this morning. Probably caught 30-40 bream and spots. I catch and release so i dont have actual count. At dinner time my son called and said he was coming up. Well, meet us at the boat ramp and lets fish a while. Kids took his truck home and he climbed in the boat. Things then took a turn for the worse. Got hung up and while trying to get un hung, my line broke, My float was drifting away from the boat so I reached to get it, then knocked my pole off the other side of the boat, then while trying my best to grab the pole before it went out of site, I lost my phone off the side. My son grabbed my britches or I would have probably went in too. Tied on a trebble hook and tried to snag the pole, but to much brush and I kept getting snagged. Gave up and went back to fishing. Fish where biteing, I guess they seen everything I lost in the water and where trying to make up for it. We stayed until 5pm and I can only guestimate we caught another 40 or 50 spots, bream and channel cats.. I would post pics, but what pics I took are forever gone.

This was one of the largest aspen in these woods and went widow maker last summer during a storm. Ate my way up it with the small saw till the hanging part was suspended. Will drop with the bigger saw after I get the chains sharpened.

View attachment 736994 View attachment 736995 View attachment 736996 View attachment 736997 View attachment 736998
now that is a big tree !! with that 3120/50" bar mounted on it the tree must be at least 12 foot hey!! ?? lol BiG ToY's, make for bigger joys....

Looks like someone was practicing their farmer cut aka sloping backcut.

Here's one for you, it has two back cuts :).
View attachment 736897

The tree was a leaner, I thought about doing a bore but it was a pretty small trunk. So I started my back cut at the perpendicular then realised that I was going to miss my face cut :buttkick:.

Second time lucky.

Been rebuilding and playing with the processor I bought. They cut some corners or didn't do enough thinking on a few things but I've got it working good now. Still haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or resell it. My other big splitter does a nice job on 16" and I can cut 36" wood with it too so it will get more hours per year anyway. This thing isn't that fast and I really don't have time to do custom work with it. It is nice to do everything with the tractor and then the processor instead of all by hand but it's still a big chunk of change sitting there most of the time. View attachment 737087 View attachment 737088 View attachment 737089
Prolly be more productive if there was a cup/can holder next to the seat. :innocent:

The tree was a leaner, I thought about doing a bore but it was a pretty small trunk. So I started my back cut at the perpendicular then realised that I was going to miss my face cut :buttkick:.

Second time lucky.
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done that quite a few times myself.
One thing that makes it a little tough for me is I run so many different saws. I have to relearn going from a stihl to a husky or jred(straight handlebar like stihl). The good thing is as long as the face looks good you can get away with a lot on the back, that is as long as I have enough room to fix the face when I mess that up :omg:. I've heard of guys making their felling cut high so that they can practice a couple more down below it, it sounds like a great idea, just I never remember to do that.
Here's the butt from that stump, all went as planned, it was a hard day as everything had to be pulled with the winch power lines and the hose/cars below.
Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 11.58.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.44.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.46.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.45.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.46.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.46.40 AM.png

Slot on that lakes one fish limit between 21 and 23 inches from May 11th until May 31st. I won't even go there.
That's a pretty narrow slot o_O.
Got this and a few others last night.
My buddy got just as many as I did. It was a good time, especially since it was our first time out this year, my first time fishing that spot in 20yrs, and we were only out for a couple hrs.
IMG_20190519_203221212.jpg IMG_20190519_211924925.jpg
IMG_20190519_202109130.jpg

Latest posts

Back