Sthil 028 wood boss parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrence Jefferson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm working on a 028 wood boss and I can't find the parts I need. It came to me with the oiler drive gear and clutch cover messed up. The owner said he left it idle for a while while on the saw mill with the chain brake on and melted the plastic drive gear. He had a new one on it but it has alot of interference and me getting frustrated I started the saw to see where exactly the problem was and now I need a cover and the proper drive gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 15583086978242078731747306986588.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 15583087158956827274479373990983.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
Good old 028’s. You cant beat them for service life and reliability.

Everything to refurb one is on evilbay or at your Stihl dealer.

Except, mufflers and air filter covers. [emoji90]

9a7a03f92f821894a1f066d97123b6f2.jpg

I had to drive forty miles to get a muffler cover on one.[emoji2960]

Good old 028’s. You cant beat them for service life and reliability.

Everything to refurb one is on evilbay or at your Stihl dealer.

Except, mufflers and air filter covers. [emoji90]

9a7a03f92f821894a1f066d97123b6f2.jpg

I had to drive forty miles to get a muffler cover on one.[emoji2960]

You just didn`t ask the right person, there is tons of parts left for the 028`s. Those are real lookers Carl, most often I see the typical beat up, no paint left dirty, cruddy 028`s come in, my own look presentable.

I had a dead one come my way recently, the piston was worn paper thin on the intake side before it broke off at the pin boss, stopped it dead, that saw was run every year since 1985 and cut mostly hardwood fit up for a woodstove, 16" to 18" long, 12 - 15 cords each year.

Ok so I got the new clutch cover I needed but it still doesn't fit because the plastic drive gear is hitting it. I'm not sure what was put in this for parts before I got it but I think they are wrong. The two gears don't line up well and the oil pump gear is a bit higher than the drive gear. It looks like the drive gear may be wrong as it just floats on the spur of the clutch drum.

Ok so I got the new clutch cover I needed but it still doesn't fit because the plastic drive gear is hitting it. I'm not sure what was put in this for parts before I got it but I think they are wrong. The two gears don't line up well and the oil pump gear is a bit higher than the drive gear. It looks like the drive gear may be wrong as it just floats on the spur of the clutch drum.

All plastic oil pump gear or composite steel/plastic?

The composite gear uses a lip seal in the oil pump.

The all plastic gear will not fit in the seal. Pop out the seal if one is in the pump.

Either gear will work sans seal. [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back