Effect Of Profiling Rakers (Depth Gauges) On Bore-Cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every bore cut drags the heel. It's impossible not to unless you aren't pushing the bar in to the wood.

I am trying to understand why some chains bore cut much smoother than others. So if the heel drags is it possible that the heel is acting as a sort-of depth gauge and limiting the bite (and hence aggressiveness) of the cutter?

I think that I have noticed that new chains seem to bore cut pretty well in stock condition. However, resharpened chains, tend to get worse. So as the chain gets sharpened the cutter gets shorter and I would think that the effect of the heel would diminish due to the shorter cutter. Is this thinking correct or is there something that I am missing?

A good boring chain will just pull the bar into the wood with little bucking and chatter. I am just trying to figure out how I can have this performance predictably.

So how well does this one bore cut?
I only verified that I can bore cut with it (despite dual depth gauges a reduced kickback drive links). I have not bore cut extensively with it, or compared it to other chains.

The comments about clipping the "heels" on the cutters made me think of this tooth's design.

Philbert

I only verified that I can bore cut with it (despite dual depth gauges a reduced kickback drive links). I have not bore cut extensively with it, or compared it to other chains.Philbert

Reduced kick-back chain is also another variable in the mix. I would think that they would bore-cut better (less aggressive) or perhaps not at all (old "shark fin" design)!

From the photos above, my chain is a 50-60% life standard non-reduced kickback Stihl RM chain which is acting up.

My guess is the Dremel stone sharpening created way too much hook in the tooth which is causing your new issue.
Well, this wasn't a real "Dremel". It was an Oregon pseudo equivalent that has a guide to prevent cutting too deep just like the Stihl file guide. Take a look at the photos that I posted earlier in the thread and see if you think the tooth has too much hook.

Back