Fine dust getting through filter - 298xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatfred

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a Husky 298xp, rebuilt the carb and used it for the first time the other day. I was milling oak for about 1 or 2 hrs and probably should have stopped to sharpen the chain sooner.

A decent amount of dust got through the stock filter and into the elbow and carb, so I'm assuming some got into the cylinder too.

My question is: How much saw dust, if any, can the saw take in before damage starts to occur?
I know this is difficult to quantify but I attached pictures of what got into the elbow and carb.

The muffler bolts look pretty rusty so I am hesitant to try removing them to check for scoring on the exhaust side...I don't want to create a problem where there isn't one. If there is a substantial risk of seizing the piston or shortening the remaining life on the saw though, I want to take the right steps to avoid that. At minimum I was going to take the carb off and clean the dust out of it, then buy a v-stack so I can use a better filter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The picture of the filter is after I cleaned it, I didn't think to get a "before" picture with the dust until too late.

b3f117da97a3a0dd685de4e86beb2aa9.jpg
84ccd221c7bfbe0326ceaf48746cacef.jpg
df2d4a52896bddcd8e7ad23d4f5ee1c3.jpg
892cf3055f74c4695ee959ff77b315a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That is a “screen” filter..?

I only use that in the snowy winter. Much less dust and better for snow. Moisture wont plug it. Kinda the same principle as why some snow blowers don’t even use filters.

You try a felt filter for it...? Or do they make a pleated filter for it? I put dielectric grease around the filter sealing surface to stop dust their too.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

That is a “screen” filter..?

I only use that in the snowy winter. Much less dust and better for snow. Moisture wont plug it. Kinda the same principle as why some snow blowers don’t even use filters.

You try a felt filter for it...? Or do they make a pleated filter for it? I put dielectric grease around the filter sealing surface to stop dust their too.

Yea it's a screen. I guess not fine enough or there are some leaks. I've seen a flock filter for the 298xp in the catalog but I haven't seen one up for sale on ebay or forums. I was going to buy the angry elf vstack with unifilter before I cut again. I also saw a guy who put motor oil on a sock and covered the filter with it. Idk about the sock though.

Is there a gasket between the carb horn and airfilter?

There’s a pre screen missing it’s a black frame screen that goes verticle behind the rear of the airfilter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUSQVARNA-...RT-USED-OEM-50-76-144-HUSKY-210-/162275249585

A nylon stocking wrapped around the pre filter should stop the fine stuff from getting through.

You might want to sharpen your chain and do your rakers so you cut big square chips.

Missing the airfilter gasket
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OLD-ST...-AIR-FILTER-GASKET-501-60-00-01-/283466448112
With all do respect HB,

That pre-screen wont solve his problem sir.

None of my 2100’s ever did this. epoxy that crack in the forward top cover below the carb cover.
The mesh in the airfilter is very fine. The dust is entering under the airfilter mount. Remember to split the airfilter and blow the air from the inside out.

Btw, if you can’t get it to stop then sell the saw to me. Lol kidding

Missing the airfilter gasket
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OLD-ST...-AIR-FILTER-GASKET-501-60-00-01-/283466448112

None of my 2100’s ever did this.
epoxy that crack in the forward top cover below the carb cover.
The mesh in the airfilter is very fine. The dust is entering under the airfilter mount. Remember to split the airfilter and blow the air from the inside out.

Btw, if you can’t get it to stop then sell the saw to me. Lol kidding
I do have a gasket but it was missing in the picture I think for the cost I'll buy a new one though, so thanks for the link. Also I did not know the filter was two pieces! I rinsed it out with water, trying to go from inside out, and let it dry in the sun.

Most of the chain saw filters split in half so we can clean them from the inside out. I perfer to wash my mesh filters with ether to get the oils off of them. Oil is a magnet for wood dust n chips.

Those nylon filters are not acceptable for milling. You NEED a flocked felt filter and make sure its well sealed with above advice. That air horn elbow joint is the danger zone so sealing that connection is important. Now for your saw and potential damage...bleh don't worry about it sand, silica or dirt is the real wrecker, fine wood dust has been by thousands of saws over many decades and is not as big of a problem as many fear. Obviously its not good but a little bit ain't the end of the world. Your on the right track recognising the issue, fixing it is pretty simple. Check your spark screen if you have one.

Why not wrap the filter area with a nylon stocking then put the carb cover on? You have the option of changing to a k&n filter too.

Do you know what I need in order to use a k&n filter? It looks like the velocity stack for the 298xp on ebay are sold out. I've seen people use elbows from other models so they can use alternative filters but I don't remember what models they took from. I used to have access to cnc mills and lathes but not any more. This would have been a good project for that.
Why not wrap the filter area with a nylon stocking then put the carb cover on? You have the option of changing to a k&n filter too.

Search YouTube for the; thechainsawguy west coast Sox ,,,,,,,he has what you need. They use it on the west coast.

Back