Any kids following in your foot print?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birddogsrule

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
thumbnail

I don’t have any yet, but if my kid(s) want in my company they get to start from the bottom up. They might get fast tracked because... I’ll be in my 50s/60s by the time they’re working in a serious role with responsibility.

I had an in with my uncle getting in the commercial side of forestry and I guess I followed in my dad’s footsteps with firefighting, but I started as a probie too. I did get fast tracked to driving trucks/running crews, but I had to prove that I had the skills to do to it.

Anyway, now that I’ve said that, I think starting at the bottom gives you a better understanding of the business, how things work and it makes you treat the people who work for you better. Of course, this is subject to change. I could get hurt or killed and have to fast track people faster than normal, or just have the people who work for me teach them. I don’t know.

Part of me hopes they keep the business going, part of me hopes they sell it off and do something else than be in this fickle industry. And just like my dad with my brother and I, I hope they don’t get into fighting fires. But if they’re adrenaline junkies, they probably will.

Nope, my one and only son is following in his moms foot prints. Complains too often, demands too much and doesn’t listen! Ha! Actually he’s a pretty good kid.

Hope y’all know I’m joking. The wife doesn’t demand anything, she expects it cause I spoil her. She doesn’t complain and listens to everything I say, so she can use it against me later!!!

All three of my sons had a shot at logging with me when they were in High School. One of them stayed with it after dropping out after 2 years of college. He was was one of the best steep ground cat skinners in our area till crippled at age 38. The other 2 boys became an electrician and lifer in the Infantry. They all enjoyed logging with their Dad.

Had 6 kids, 4 step kids and 2 girls of my own, 4 girls and two boys. The two boys I never got them into meat cutting because some folks are just not cut out for it. I trained Meat Cutters off and on for 40 years and you learn quick who has the talent for that job and who doesn't, safety was always first and one who didn't comply with rules for safety would be eliminated quickly.

The good and bad with this is I applied this to my other endeavors in life. An employee could gain from my knowledge or hit the road. I was an Ole Dog, but never to old to learn new tricks. I trained some folks that others would never have given a chance. The difference is they would pay attention and learn and gain from knowledge I could give them and build on that knowledge.

1 GD and 4 grandsons.
They ll like to plant and cut down trees, but doubt any will be in forestry as full time profession.
18 YO grandson does do trimming during summer with his own small landscape business.

All 5 grandkids want a share of the forest land we have though <G>

Day job is engineering, one son is engineer, probably 2 or 3 grandsons will be engineers or computer geeks. Youngest probably genetically disposed to be engineer, both grandpas and both parents, eh?

Back