Jonsered 49SP fuel return?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Block

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello
My Jonsered 49SP has stopped running. It tries to start but just can't make it.
I suspected fuel starvation and went for the carburettor.
While removing the carb I noticed that what I thought was a fuel return pipe (one end goes to a one way valve on tank) is not connected at the other end. It passes through a hole on the right hand side of the carb but is not connected to anything.
Any help with this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Block

Hello
My Jonsered 49SP has stopped running. It tries to start but just can't make it.
I suspected fuel starvation and went for the carburettor.
While removing the carb I noticed that what I thought was a fuel return pipe (one end goes to a one way valve on tank) is not connected at the other end. It passes through a hole on the right hand side of the carb but is not connected to anything.
Any help with this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Block
If this is just an air intake for the fuel tank, should it have some sort of filter on the end?

Yep.....as everyone has said there is no fuel return on the 49SP. What you are looking at is the tank vent line. It should be routed up over the choke shaft then down under the carb to a hole on the right hand side of the carb box. This may or may not have a sintered bronze filter in the outboard end.......all 52/52Es did and early model 49s did but later model 49s didn't.........just another of the rather large number cost cutting measures that were present on the Semi Pro saw.

As far as your running problem is concerned, when you remove the upper cover/gasket etc on the carb.....pay close attention to the final fuel filter screen inside the carb right next to where the fuel enters....it sits down in a 1/4" round hole. If this is clogged it will not allow enough fuel down to the metering side of the carb. If the carb looks good and you know your compression hasn't changed from when it was running good, pull the flywheel and take a good look at the contact points......they should be flat, shiny and gapped at 0.016" when fully opened buy the crankshaft/cam. Any blackness or corrosion must be filed or sanded away.

Thank you for your replies.

Catdog
The air vent routing is as you have said and I will just leave it without a filter.
I used to get regular points/condenser issues so 2 years ago I fitted electronic ignition. Always had a heathy spark since then.
Just waiting for my carb set to arrive then will post results.
Thanks for the filter pointer.
Block

Back