If you were to buy a 70 cc saw tomorrow which one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i pick up a small saw ms201 rear handle selling my 550xp i think which 70 cc saw would u buy a bit nervous on husky after getting a 550xp

You can get a lot done with a little 201cem.

For my big saw, that doesn't see as much use, I bought a 10 year old 372 in good shape for a third the cost of new.
20190116_173743.jpg
But you, or I, don't come across these deals everyday. And I also have an inexpensive 50cc saw for when my little saw is not quite enough. But as much use as it gets, it'd probably make more sense to just get a 18 or 20 inch bar and chain for the 372.

If I was going to use a 70cc saw on a real regular basis, I'd get a new Stihl 462.

So for a 2-saw plan, which makes a lot of sense with a hot 35 and 70cc saw;
Assuming the 201 gets the lions share of the work, a used 372 or a Makita 6421(although I don't care for the extra weight of the Dolkita). I could even get by with a 60cc here.
And the 462 if it'd see more everyday use.

For serious work? The new Stihl 500i. Fuel Injected.
World's first fuel injected production saw... looks to be a total game changer - how can a carb saw possibly compete? Highest power to weight ratio on the market.
stihl-chainsaws.jpg

First new or used?

I started out with a 2100/99cc and a 240sg husky saws. They never let me down. But when I stuck a new 266se between them the 266 did most of the mid sized trees. The 266se/266xp/268 will serve you well. But I wouldn’t go for the 372/365. I’d go after a 570. With a tad of porting it’s been said here the 570 is better n smoother over the 372/365. I think I have 10+ 570’s now. I just picked up two more. My two sons love the 570’s. That’s the first saw they grab. All we’re doing is running the mix ratio oil richer. 38:1.

Btw, I don’t think that Husqvarna is sitting back just yet with the newer revised models they just came out with. There after souping up the mid class powerheads so they can run longer bars. I’ll bet in a short time we’re going to see updated larger saws too. Not too big size wise to keep the weight down. But up the power.

For serious work? The new Stihl 500i. Fuel Injected.
World's first fuel injected production saw... looks to be a total game changer - how can a carb saw possibly compete?
stihl-chainsaws.jpg
Well let’s see, reliability, also the ability to replace your own parts without having to pay a dealer to flash them???

Lol until they start giving us software to do our own repairs it’s a no brainer in my opinion to have more people choose a carved saw

It would be a new saw and I like the 60 cc saws but weight to hp 70 cc seam better
the lighter the better 462 looks nice hoped to keep it under $1000 and has 462 proven to be gtg I might even find new old stock on a husky’s where I live

The lower end 60cc saws are ok. But getting a 65/70cc saw and being on the higher end of the power is what I like, as we start pushing that 80cc mark is where the serious cutting starts to happen. I started out with non professional saws. I was frustrated waiting for them to cut. To me the bigger the cc the better.
But it seems to be a weight thing vs power too.
The other day a partner 1655 showed up. While unboxing it I noticed how really heavy the saw was and the bar was off of it was heavy too. It weighed more than my Huskys of similair size. Heavier than my 570’s. So is the weight vs power being factored in too.

One of hotsaws101 videos he had a long bar on a Ported husky 346xp cutting a large tree. Could this be the wave of the future smaller power heads with longer bars?

The other day a partner 1655 showed up. While unboxing it I noticed how really heavy the saw was and the bar was off of it was heavy too. It weighed more than my Huskys of similair size. Heavier than my 570’s. So is the weight vs power being factored in too.
Those old Partners are big and heavy. Not sure if a 7000 top end'll fit on a 1655 c/case?

Well let’s see, reliability, also the ability to replace your own parts without having to pay a dealer to flash them???

Lol until they start giving us software to do our own repairs it’s a no brainer in my opinion to have more people choose a carved saw
The 462 can be converted to carby
With parts from Europe that's interesting.
But at additional cost of course
I'll never have autotronic saws.

There are plenty of 461 Stihls still out there, new, going at a discount. Same for the 372XP.

If you want the newest of the new, I saw a 572 with a 28” bar that impressed me much more than a 462 with tbat length bar. If you want to run a shorty, the 462 is probably fine. For anything over a two footer I think the 572 will probably pull away some.

There are plenty of 461 Stihls still out there, new, going at a discount. Same for the 372XP.

If you want the newest of the new, I saw a 572 with a 28” bar that impressed me much more than a 462 with tbat length bar. If you want to run a shorty, the 462 is probably fine. For anything over a two footer I think the 572 will probably pull away some.
I agree, 572 is a smooth saw.

went to the good dealer that would service my saws, if there's a problem, he had a ms441 $990, he thought he had a ms461 i offered to buy it then he realized he did not,but we were working out price it was only $75 cheaper than a new ms462 no old stock husky around i could find hunt will go on
i like the 462 weight wise but not the price
will run 20 -24 inch bar

Latest posts

Back