Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those do look fun, king salmon come up in the river where we were fishing at, they are a good bit of fun. We call this dogfish here as @cat10ken said. Guys here bow fish for them, they are called "bow"fin :D.

ever catch one, chipper? if i lived near ... I might have to go fishing there often when the Kings were running. imo... the only thing that beats fresh caught salmon... is more! :yes:

:drinkingcoffee:

couple weeks ago, returned from some errands, turned corner and... ran into this. the el jefe grande said, sure you can have all the oak you want. you got a truck? i said, no... i have a rig i used just for wood scrounges on these two streets. he looked a bit :cool:... great scrounge. all oak!

PA120016.JPG PA120017.JPG PA120018.JPG

ever catch one, chipper? if i lived near ... I might have to go fishing there often when the Kings were running. imo... the only thing that beats fresh caught salmon... is more! :yes:

:drinkingcoffee:
Lots, well over hundred in a day, even more steelhead if your in the river when the run starts and you have a couple hundred mustads in your vest :yes:.
I'd rather eat a bunch of perch, walleye, rainbows, browns, bluegill, the only thing that makes me like them more is when someone else is cleaning them :laugh:.
I like smoked salmon a lot, I will eat it fresh caught too:barbecue:. The only pictures I have of salmon are from many yrs ago, I haven't stuck one in a while, maybe I'll get my gear out this fall, just went thru some of it before fishing the other night.

then one neighbor said i could have this pile of wood they dint want any more. i would burn the fresh oak indoors once split, but the other... well, ideal for mr Brutus. he is not too particular! lol now the pile on my drive is about twice the orig size... my guess? 1/2 cord or so.

PA280007.JPG

i better get :chainsaw: soon!

maybe today. rains up in the country. 80% and 40%... after some more :drinkingcoffee: i should be ready and steady... :muscle:

I'd probably build a house first, or at least have a nice camper on the site, but sure a float plane would be nice.

oic; had thot the lot with house was the one your friend had. and also owned dirt next to new concrete. but, your ideas sound a bit more as in 'mo betta!' lol...

what did u do with all the wood, chipper? or did ur friend keep?

84* yesterday. No hoodie needed. Took a few words to get it started.:surprised3:
Holy heck, I had a nice fire going last night, enough coals to start another this morning, may need a little one tonight, but 80's later this week :baba:.
Must be a small plastic saw thing. Are ms 250 needs a few words most times before it wants to run.
Mine fire right up, maybe 5 pulls til they pop if they've been sitting a while.
I fired up the 2145 with a ported 346 cylinder Saturday evening, been a couple months, popped on the third pull and running on the 4th. I may run it at a buddies today, needs a couple pine taken care of:chainsaw:.
Small saws....I always run my saws dry so next use means pulling fuel through. It's a pain with the ms180 on a regular basis. 20+ pulls before I get a pop, then choke off and it goes next pull. I've learnt that removing the cover and air filter seems to help get that first pop quicker. Filter is clean though. Saw runs and starts first time if stopped with fuel in it.... It's just pulling fuel through that's a pain. Can be a pain with saw hot or cold.
Why not leave the fuel in them, you use ethanol free full right.
I also don't run my saws out of fuel until they won't run, if I hear it surge I shut it off. It could be low on fuel or it could have an issue, either way it should be shut off. The only time I run them dry is before shipping them.
Saws that have been sitting for a long time respond well to a little fuel dribbled in the carb or spark plug hole.

It is funny cause you can pull on them 100 times with no fire but one dribble of gas primes the fuel system and they are ready to rip.
I have to do that on many engines I buy on various equipment, I don't usually do it on saws, but have on a few.
It is odd how some will fire right up and be running perfect after that first time of turning over after a little shot to the carb, both on 4 and 2-stroke engines.

oic; had thot the lot with house was the one your friend had. and also owned dirt next to new concrete. but, your ideas sound a bit more as in 'mo betta!' lol...

what did u do with all the wood, chipper? or did ur friend keep?
Left it lay, it's two hrs from the house and Dan said it's not spruce so it's junk :laugh:, it was just a few large white oaks, some maple, and an aspen/poplar :eek:.
His neighbor a couple houses down said he will be taking it for firewood. I delimbed most of it so it lays flat, it looks a lot neater in case the guy doesn't take it soon. If he doesn't I'll go back and cut it all up and some lucky scrounger will find it on craigslist, and I may take a couple of the larger white oak logs for boards. I would have loaded a couple besides the tractor for the ride home, but the suburban wouldn't have liked it and there isn't much room on the sides for logs.

Lots, well over hundred in a day, even more steelhead if your in the river when the run starts and you have a couple hundred mustads in your vest :yes:. I'd rather eat a bunch of perch, walleye, rainbows, browns, bluegill, the only thing that makes me like them more is when someone else is cleaning them :laugh:.
I like smoked salmon a lot, I will eat it fresh caught too:barbecue:. The only pictures I have of salmon are from many yrs ago, I haven't stuck one in a while, maybe I'll get my gear out this fall, just went thru some of it before fishing the other night.

no doubt a pan full of rainbows is both a site to behold and a mouthwatering anticipation... sizzling away over the camp fire. i am very fond of salmon, guess it is a Pac NW thing. any way cooked is ok, but poached is my preferred method. cooked just right, melts in mouth!

a nice pan full of rainbows. always nice!
zrt.jpg

no doubt a pan full of rainbows is both a site to behold and a mouthwatering anticipation... sizzling away over the camp fire. i am very fond of salmon, guess it is a Pac NW thing. any way cooked is ok, but poached is my preferred method. cooked just right, melts in mouth!

a nice pan full of rainbows. always nice!
View attachment 737342
I just gut'em, wrap them in tinfoil with a tablespoon of butter and throw them on the coals, when the skin peels of the meat and the meat falls off the bone they're done :sweet:.
I think I may like them a lot because they are so easy to prepare just as much as the flavor :D.

Saws that have been sitting for a long time respond well to a little fuel dribbled in the carb or spark plug hole.

It is funny cause you can pull on them 100 times with no fire but one dribble of gas primes the fuel system and they are ready to rip.
We were visiting friends in NC a few months ago. Walked into the garage and there was a Mac 1010 sitting on the floor. Well, you know what I had to do. He said it was no good, hadn't run in years. I asked if he had a socket so I could pull the plug? No, he didn't have any sockets or wrenches. The hole time I was trying to see if it had spark, he kept saying, It'll never work! I asked if it had fuel in it and he said no. He has a weed eater and blower and uses canned fuel. I got the air cleaner off and dripped a few drops down the carb, a few pulls and it started up and kept running, and running. I blipped the trigger and revved it up, and it sounded great. I said I thought there was no fuel in it? He said he guessed he put a little in it to try and start it. Pulled 100 times, nothing. Just needed a little prime. Now I'm sorry I got it running. If it was dead I could have brought it home.

Why not leave the fuel in them, you use ethanol free full right.
I also don't run my saws out of fuel until they won't run, if I hear it surge I shut it off. It could be low on fuel or it could have an issue, either way it should be shut off. The only time I run them dry is before shipping them.

Yes although its virtually impossible to guarantee its E free, its likely to be, or at least low E, but might possibly be zero. Even them the aromatics will slowly oxidise and gum up. Although 20+ pulls to start it when dry are a bot of a pain, it costs nothing and is less ofa pain than a new carb etc.

Back