Old Poulan 1800 worth fixing up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a Stihl MS250 for use up at our hunting camp. My dad had an old Poulan 1800 he kept there but hasn't used for probably 15 years - but still seems to be in pretty good condition (at least visually).

Just wondering if the 1800 is worth cleaning up and fixing up as a spare or for little jobs. Not sure if this was considered a good model or a piece of junk. Also - am I safe in using any 40:1 oil with it (I have a Craftsmen snowblower that's 40:1) - or should I try to track down the Poulan/Weedeater brand oil?

Thanks!

Bill

Funny here is the OP's post and I do not see one thing about him taking it to a dealer or anyone else for that matter. Just saying.

Ok Jus2fat I realize you were just stirring the pot.

Last edited:
First off..'ModifiedMark' is one cool dude..!!..We PM'd..and he bought it to my attention that the saw was "in hand".

Now I read the OP's post as saying it would be fixed by someone other than himself...big difference.

If the saw came into my chickenchit shop..I'd check the muffler screen for free...after that you're on the clock.

I'd pull the muffler and check the piston...if OK there replace fuel line..I have Tygon in stock.

A carb kit will have to likely be ordered for an old Poulan..dude doesn't seem to be in a rush.

I don't have a USC as if a carb kit doesn't fix the problem...buy a New carb...(I hate small engine carbs..!!)

As said..after the muffler screen check...he's on the the clock at $40 an hour...and I'm $20 under dealer..!!

I'm just sayin' that if I owned that saw...I wouldn't put more than about $30 into it to get it running.

I would put the $$ over that into a newer saw...as said..a 'wild-thing' for $99 at Lowe's or TSC when on sale.

If the dude can do the work himself...well then...sure...maybe worth a $20 shot..?? But to pay someone..NO WAY..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I guess you know your work better than anyone else.....you said it not me.

Funny here is the OP's post and I do not see one thing about him taking it to a dealer or anyone else for that matter. Just saying.

Ok Jus2fat I realize you were just stirring the pot.

You are correct. This would just be something for me to tinker with out in the garage after my boys are in bed. Contrary to popular belief us insurance agents don't just sit around reading insurance policies in our spare time! :)

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I'm sorry to have got people riled up. ;-)

Bill

You are correct. This would just be something for me to tinker with out in the garage after my boys are in bed. Contrary to popular belief us insurance agents don't just sit around reading insurance policies in our spare time! :)

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I'm sorry to have got people riled up. ;-)

Bill

We were just having fun at someone else's expense, no big deal.

You want riled up mention that a classic Poulan top handle will spank a Stihl MS 200T up in a tree.:jester::jester::jester::jester::jester:

lost count

How many of those little saws did you say you have now.

You know you just might be an authority on those.

i have one in the mail tommorow ummm 10 12 15????? not sure ive been buying 2 and 3 at a pop last few weeks LOL...

I know you all have been on pins and needles waiting on an update so here it is. :msp_biggrin:

Tore it apart today and everything actually looked great so I just cleaned it up, put on a fresh blade and put in some fresh gas. Fired up after about 5 pulls and seems fine. Here's a pic:
IMG_20120923_162650.jpg

So next you might want to pull the air cleaner off and see if the fuel line is real brittle and consider if it needs replacing.
I think the blade your referring to is the chain?
Well looks good congrats on getting it running.

I know you all have been on pins and needles waiting on an update so here it is. :msp_biggrin:

Tore it apart today and everything actually looked great so I just cleaned it up, put on a fresh blade and put in some fresh gas. Fired up after about 5 pulls and seems fine. Here's a pic:
IMG_20120923_162650.jpg

Good for you! Those are great little saws, as mentioned by everyone on this thread, EXCEPT for the guy who has never run one.
You might want to check the foam air filter and fuel lines. Both of those often fall apart on those saws, just because of age.

HomeliteJim that's hilarious. Just say a modded old Poulan 1800 vs a Stihl 200T to really get them roped in, lol.

Have a quick question for you guys that have one of these old 1800s. I was workin on one today I picked up a few weeks back at a yard sale. I think the needle seat might be just a little worn but it runs pretty ok for now. Wondering what the max factory rpm is supposed to be? I got mine at about 1 1/2 turns out on the low and 1 turn out on the H. It throttles up ok and maxes around 9k rpm. Wasn't sure if I should take it higher. Seems I have to turn the H in from 1 out to quicken it up and I was a little hesitant to do that. I love the design of this saw too btw. Why can't they always make them dead simple to work on!? That's one of the biggest things that makes me like or dislike a saw in the long run. Anyway, curious what the max rpm I should set it to would be. Kinda seems like to blows a whole lot of gas out the carburetor when I throttle it up without the cover on, gets all over. Does having the cover on counter that? I've always wondered on ones that seem to really shoot a lot of gas around.

dump picked today. cleaned to up, fresh fuel and bar oil. fired up after several pulls. shut up you poulan 1800 haters!

Attachments

• 1D31A8B8-E850-45AB-A682-6B5B4E068EFD.jpeg
    1D31A8B8-E850-45AB-A682-6B5B4E068EFD.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • AD493C27-54B5-4FA0-981A-7073948B2346.jpeg
    AD493C27-54B5-4FA0-981A-7073948B2346.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back