so how do you get saw chips out of socks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echomeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems trivial but my wife is gonna treat me to a frying pan over the issue of socks with saw chips. They go through the wash and dry without losing a single chip. How do you deal with these.

I put em on with the same chips that were on em when I took em off.

Some eggzadurations but still it's my main trouble, since I run echo saws i have nothing else to
complain about.

Seems trivial but my wife is gonna treat me to a frying pan over the issue of socks with saw chips. They go through the wash and dry without losing a single chip. How do you deal with these.

I put em on with the same chips that were on em when I took em off.

Some eggzadurations but still it's my main trouble, since I run echo saws i have nothing else to
complain about.
Premix and a match, or high top boots.

Used to take them off and hold the end while letting them get sucked into a shop vac.
Pull them in and out until they're clean - then turn them inside out and do the same....

Keeping them out? Long pants, boots and tape up the laces and tongue of them.

The worst?
When you have a hole in the knee of your pants and the chips eject straight down into it.
Yecchh...!

Don't think I've ever gotten sawdust in my socks.

How is itpossible? Would have to travel up between the boot and pant leg and go in the sock somehow.

I end up with a bunch in my pockets, especially my hoodies, but it mostly washes out.

The problem starts at the beltline, when you tuck your shirt in, chips accumulate there and migrate down the pant legs. Solution is to ware shirt over the pants. I like the Lycra rashgurads, long sleeve, stretchy and stays put.

Dot point 1: Get a new wife that understands.

Dot point 2: Why does she care? She doesn't have to wear your socks and by staying safely housed in your socks, those chips are not clogging up the washer, dryer, vacuum, iron, dishwasher, oven, sewing machine and whatever else it is that women use. I'm sure she can incorporate the chips in there when she's darning your socks. I just don't see the problem.

ps. Please don't tell Cowgirl that I said any of that stuff, thanks in advance.

gaiters maybe?
in hot weather when i may be working in shorts (with chaps over) or shorts doing woodworking, i make redneck gaiters by putting a second layer made from an old sock with the toe cut off slid over the top of the boot up on my leg. Keeps all the wood chips from going down into my boots

Tall boots, your pants go over top of them and the saw chips can't get in. I always wear long pants when working outside no matter the time of year. I sometimes get chips in my pockets, but that's easily mitigated. I don't think I've ever got wood chips in my socks.

Must be the material. I run a saw wearing shorts and sneakers all summer. Socks are full of chips all the time. I usually am wearing old socks I don't care about and will wash them all with my saw clothes from the week. A double rinse helps to get most but not all of them out but it's really no big deal to me.

My wood cutting clothes and shoes stay in a box in garage, seldom get washed but shaked often.
Don't usually get wood chips in socks but have on few occasions.....I just sit outside and pick them off.

as was mention shop vac. takes a little work though as you need to stick one had in sock and then work that are supported by same with vac repeat for multiple areas of sock- might also have to invert sock and repeat procedure. to prevent high top boots and long pants . no shorts anything similar in my wardrobe ever.

Aspen chips come right out. If I get any chips in my socks I take them off when done working, give them a shake and keep wearing. Anything left by that night comes out in the wash.

I can see where this would be an issue with wood that has more "pokey" chips. Sometimes when I am using recycled lumber I come across some pine (maybe douglas fir?) that is just harsh as all get out.

Back