McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having an issue with my oiler at the moment.

Brian

If it's related to the viscosity, I bought a couple of gallons of winter weight bar oil at TSC. Much thinner and works well.

You being in Tenn may have an issue finding it.

I find there are some advantages when living in cold climates. That's one and then there's others like....... I'll have to think on that.

I post this on different threads a couple times a year. When I started working for my Dad in 1972, I had never heard of "Bar Oil". We used the cheapest 10W30 we could get at Walmart. When Dad's company got big enough that we started to get direct advertising from the manufacturers, I remember 2 different "Bar Oil" studies. One company said their oil was thicker, and better, because it stuck to the bar and carried the oil around the bar better. The other company said their oil was thinner and was better because it flew off the end of the bar, and carried heat off the bar better. They both had a pile of scientific research that proved their oil was best. We kept using 10W30 because it was way cheaper. We never had an oil related bar failure. Had guys drop climbing saws out of trees and bend bars in half. I'm 63 now and go through about 5 gallons of mix a month, playing with old saws, milling, and firewood. If I see a super sale on Bar oil I'll buy a couple gallons, otherwise it's still 10W30. Most of my old saws are 90+cc Homelites and a few 85-100 CC Macs. My favorite Mac is my 550.

I figure of the bar is staying cool, it's working. I've tried some different brands but they all seem to work well for me.

I used to use the high dollar oil, but it's a little too thick so I get the cheap stuff or craftsman brand and that works in my old macs.

I have been using Husqvarna bar oil. It actually seems pretty thin. I got a brand a while back(can’t remember name) and it was thick. I didn’t use it.

Like fossil said it's a 10 series so a whole bunch of stuff is shared with the other 10 series saws. Ebay is a pretty good source for parts maybe not the cheapest place but still reasonable when you think of parts for a modern saw at the dealer.

Let us know where your at with it. And put up some photos

Thanks mate, if your interested I put up some pics in the chainsaw forum of the stihl 031av I just restored, not sure whether I will go the same route with the McCulloch or just restore the mechanics and leave the original patina.

On a facebook site:

Pro mac 805 project anyone? Low compression 165.00 plus shipping Salem IN
Gas tank does not leak , drained some rotten swill out of it !!
Has 24" bar and chain included
58902354_1205074082995990_3588399687809368064_n.jpg

59002698_1205074226329309_7623245261644496896_n.jpg

Brian
https://www.facebook.com/groups/243...if_id=1558516370455111&notif_t=group_activity

Hi

Looking at online pics and parts diagrams I dont think this saw is missing anything externally apart from having a broken muffler, does this McCulloch 7-10 look like its missing any external casing especially on the underside?

mac710 1.JPG mac 710 2.JPG mac 710 3.JPG mac 710 4.JPG

Appreciate the reply, excuse my ignorance but which part of the clutch cover is broken as I'm not seeing what your seeing in the photos.

Regards

Adam

Hi

Looking at online pics and parts diagrams I dont think this saw is missing anything externally apart from having a broken muffler, does this McCulloch 7-10 look like its missing any external casing especially on the underside?

View attachment 737526 View attachment 737527 View attachment 737528 View attachment 737529

Strangely enough the plastic chip screen on the starter housing looks great!
There's an allen head srew in the starter housing that shouldn't be.

Oh yeah, you are right.

It was such a nice angled clean break that I hadn't noticed when I was looking at the saw - having not cleaned it yet didnt help.

Looks like a tough part to replace so probably have to smooth out the crack line and try and make it look like the original design...although once all the dirt comes off it may look more obvious.

Hi

View attachment 737526 View attachment 737527 View attachment 737528 View attachment 737529

Nicely covered in preservative lol. Nice work on the stihl by the way.. how's the compression on that mac? It's the cylinder condition thats the major.

Nicely covered in preservative lol. Nice work on the stihl by the way.. how's the compression on that mac? It's the cylinder condition thats the major.

My cheap compression tester is telling me 77psi, which aint good...suprisingly the saw still has spark with my work colleague's dodgy makeshift ignition lead but she wont fire from my brief messing around with it and leaving the old spark plug in there.

Is there any way to salvage this thing if the cylinder is stuffed (can you even get rings for it?) or if I pretty it up it will be destined for display only and wont be a runner

My cheap compression tester is telling me 77psi, which aint good...suprisingly the saw still has spark with my work colleague's dodgy makeshift ignition lead but she wont fire from my brief messing around with it and leaving the old spark plug in there.

Is there any way to salvage this thing if the cylinder is stuffed (can you even get rings for it?) or if I pretty it up it will be destined for display only and wont be a runner

Yup jump on Ebay there's everything except cylinders. Pop the carb off and have a gander at the exhaust side of the bore. 1 of my 7-10s has a couple good grooves it can hang on the pull cord for around 10 seconds and still keeps up with my fresh ringed poulan 4000

Yup jump on Ebay there's everything except cylinders. Pop the carb off and have a gander at the exhaust side of the bore. 1 of my 7-10s has a couple good grooves it can hang on the pull cord for around 10 seconds and still keeps up with my fresh ringed poulan 4000

Warning - totally ignorant question ahead....from what I can see the McCulloch has its own block and head and the casing covers seem to fit around it opposed to say the Stihl 031av which has the bearings etc pressed into the casing and the casing is the block per se......My question - Can a different model head or head block combo potentially be fitted into the Mac 7-10 if the cylinder turns out to be a mess?

Warning - totally ignorant question ahead....from what I can see the McCulloch has its own block and head and the casing covers seem to fit around it opposed to say the Stihl 031av which has the bearings etc pressed into the casing and the casing is the block per se......My question - Can a different model head or head block combo potentially be fitted into the Mac 7-10 if the cylinder turns out to be a mess?

It may not be poked yet so pull her down to see. It can be rechromed too. It could be just really warn old rings. Was the decomp valve shut? It's easy to bump and if your not used to pulling it over you may not recognize the hissing sound.

Yes you are pretty much onto it with the construction it's simple as.

Take the starter off put it away with its screws. Clutch cover obviously the carb next and undo the bolts underneath it and the tricky throttle linkage.

Dump the oil crack the cap off the front theres an Alan head in there to the tank umm the brace underneath awww the handle bar obviously and booyah.

Crack the bolts on the muffler and start cleaning and perving.

Very simple saw do some old thread surfing and hunt around the net and you'll learn a heap real fast.

Keep your eyes and everyone you knows eyes and ears out for more 10 series saws for a parts supply and maybe to resurrect more they can be had very cheap with a sprung spring or bad carb in old Wilber's shed kinda thing.

It isn't as easy as that finding a cylinder off of another model its 5-10 6-10 7-10 pm700 but your not going to just find a 6-10 cylinder around and if a whole saw came up with a good cylinder ya mite as well get it running insted.

Parts are about and old bob Johnson has 700 or 7-10 (he wasn't sure lol) cylinders sitting there for 150 or something.

Pull it apart..... it's fun:)

It may not be poked yet so pull her down to see. It can be rechromed too. It could be just really warn old rings. Was the decomp valve shut? It's easy to bump and if your not used to pulling it over you may not recognize the hissing sound

Sorry Jethro, I posted the below before I saw you added heaps to your post - appreciate you taking the time to give me some of that insight.

Appreciate your reply - Just checking - the decompression valve is pulled out to release compression (I'm going feel stupid if I got this wrong), there wasn't a lot of travel between in and out so hopefully its fully sealing....I did the compression test with wide open throttle to get the 77psi. I have another 031av to finish off (I wanted at least one 031av to actually cut with) and then i'll strip 7-10.

I'd definately just re-ring it if the cylinder is even half decent as I just want it to run and then go on the wall - the 7-10 has a bit of rust so hopefully the internals are okay.... when you say there are heaps of parts on ebay - are you referring to NOS in the USA or is there aftermarket rings / bearings etc available as when I type McCulloch 7-10 I dont seem to get a lot in Australia anyways...any idea what carby I would have (did the Aussies / NZ's get a certain model)?

Appreciate your reply - Just checking - the decompression valve is pulled out to release compression (I'm going feel stupid if I got this wrong), there wasn't a lot of travel between in and out so hopefully its fully sealing....I did the compression test with wide open throttle to get the 77psi. I have another 031av to finish off (I wanted at least one 031av to actually cut with) and then i'll strip 7-10.

I'd definately just re-ring it if the cylinder is even half decent as I just want it to run and then go on the wall - the 7-10 has a bit of rust so hopefully the internals are okay.... when you say there are heaps of parts on ebay - are you referring to NOS in the USA or is there aftermarket rings / bearings etc available as when I type McCulloch 7-10 I dont seem to get a lot in Australia anyways...any idea what carby I would have (did the Aussies / NZ's get a certain model)?

Sorry kinda hit send on accident before oops

Back