Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a little seafoam in every tank of mix. I know it's not a stabilizer but I've had good luck with it. Also always use premium non ethanol fuel in all my small engines.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
When I was a marine mechanic, we used our own fuel tank with a heavy dose of Seafoam to test every motor that came in with issues. Provided the motor was getting spark and fuel, it solved the problem about 1/3 of the time.

I don't drain my saws, I just make sure I start them at least once every 3 months so the carb does not get gummed up … don't have any problems, and I currently have 20 runners!

I counted them in your last picture [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I lied about done burning for the year. Fire last night and again tonight, high 30’s are a bit chilly.

Dang!!! I ain't movin to Makita PA. 85* yesterday and mid 70's today here in Stihl PA. :laugh::cheers:

Echo PA is comfortable and not expensive to live in. You're welcome to move here if you would like to.

I'm working on a couple of houses up near Tobermory. One site has 80 trees from 10" to 30" diameter, most are poplar, some cedar and 5 white pine with a couple of birch mixed in. ( 14 are decent straight cedars) Several 100 smaller trees to be chipped and left on site. Owner wants stumps hauled away, anything over 8" is to be cut to log length and set in piles. Had a contractor on site and he said $15000 wouldn't be enough to do the work. I'm trying to at least get the 14 cedars for milling. It's 3 hour drive for me so it's a tough call. I wish I had more time and I would do the whole job but time can' be bought. The owner is from Toronto and is going to be a handful for sure, he's originally from a country that has a lot of heat and sand. The contractor had just come from clearing 150 cedars that were 10 to 20" diameter, he stacked them on top of a pile of 300 that he removed 4 years ago, they are rotting nicely he said. I already cut 30 small cedars down on the other lot and they were cut up and hauled to a gravel pit to be used for fill. I was able to get 15 or 20 posts but that was all I could haul at the time. I hate wasting wood.

Backwoods, the mods I did to the processor were to the wedge slide, they did it half azzed, I cut theirs off, beefed it up and made it work properly and it will last now. The winch bracket for the conveyor was just too light of steel and too small a bracket where it bolted to the frame. The light blue is the new one I made 1/4" instead of tin, I raised it up 5" and I moved the winch over so you don't hit your knuckles when using it. Old one is the bent piece in the toolbox in 2nd pic. The round black piece is the bracket to hold the cylinder in place,3/8" thick with 2 bolts were already broke and it was bent. I had a new one made out of 5/8" steel and new Grade 8 bolts. The last picture is the wedge slide, they had a light piece of angle iron fastened into the ends with 3 little bolts. They were all broke off, I cut 3" off it and then welded a 7" piece onto it so I could put 3/8" angle irons on it with 4 bolts to hold it in place. I did a bunch of other small improvements on different things too. I'm sure that they corrected all these things on the models that they are selling now. 20190505_145353.jpg 20190505_145329.jpg 20190505_145242.jpg

I don't drain my saws, I just make sure I start them at least once every 3 months so the carb does not get gummed up … don't have any problems, and I currently have 20 runners!
One of the best things you can do right there(even better if you run them every other month), I do the same thing(but shoot for every other).
Funny how a diaphragm that's hard from dried out fuel doesn't seem to want to work :rare2:.
The only piece of equipment that I don't do this with most of the time is my pressure washer, guess what needs the carb cleaned :rare2:, but I don't have a way to run it in the basement without going to some extremes I'm not doing. I have to clean the carb on our little trx70 and on the trx90(just did it) because there are no filters in the carbs.
But most all the equipment I buy to sell I have to clean the carbs, I have a couple Honda eu2000 generators sitting at the bottom of the steps needing cleaned, they run great with the choke on :D.

Backwoods, the mods I did to the processor were to the wedge slide, they did it half azzed, I cut theirs off, beefed it up and made it work properly and it will last now. The winch bracket for the conveyor was just too light of steel and too small a bracket where it bolted to the frame. The light blue is the new one I made 1/4" instead of tin, I raised it up 5" and I moved the winch over so you don't hit your knuckles when using it. Old one is the bent piece in the toolbox in 2nd pic. The round black piece is the bracket to hold the cylinder in place,3/8" thick with 2 bolts were already broke and it was bent. I had a new one made out of 5/8" steel and new Grade 8 bolts. The last picture is the wedge slide, they had a light piece of angle iron fastened into the ends with 3 little bolts. They were all broke off, I cut 3" off it and then welded a 7" piece onto it so I could put 3/8" angle irons on it with 4 bolts to hold it in place. I did a bunch of other small improvements on different things too. I'm sure that they corrected all these things on the models that they are selling now. View attachment 737397 View attachment 737398 View attachment 737399

thanks! quite a list of mods. I like your work! always well thought out and well done!

Hey Philbert, I got that wee Makita chainsaw today. Nobody would offer me one for a day as a demo' so I had to buy one while in getting a table saw. Not happy about the proprietary rim sprocket but suspect I won't need to change it often. I guess tomorrow will tell if it stands up OK on the wee 10" bar.

Anyone of you good buggers up there want to help me buy a quiver of makita 18v gear and help yourselves to some beer money along the way please? There are some deals on a few sites that only ship to USA. I'm thinking about buying enough to fill a set-price Fed Ex box (on my account here) and then have FedEx pick it up and delivery to me here. You'll get some gear to keep, or sell off, or paid for your time as a general thanks for helping anotherMotherBrotha side-step the extortion here.

Today the sales guy was doing me a fava trying to sell me his discounted 5Ah makita batteries at about NZ$140 each. Nup, I'm not making that up, that's the way it seems to be here in NZ - we are getting ripped off big-time on the batteries. By my calcs i can fill a FedEx 10kg box (a set rate) with batteries or a 25kg box with batteries and a few tools, and get it all here way cheaper than buying it here. FedEx have no problem moving Lithium batteries from what I was told today.

Anyhoo, if anyone is keen please sing out.

Ta

Anyone of you good buggers up there want to help me buy a quiver of makita 18v gear and help yourselves to some beer money along the way please? There are some deals on a few sites that only ship to USA. I'm thinking about buying enough to fill a set-price Fed Ex box (on my account here) and then have FedEx pick it up and delivery to me here. You'll get some gear to keep, or sell off, or paid for your time as a general thanks for helping anotherMotherBrotha side-step the extortion here.

Today the sales guy was doing me a fava trying to sell me his discounted 5Ah makita batteries at about NZ$140 each. Nup, I'm not making that up, that's the way it seems to be here in NZ - we are getting ripped off big-time on the batteries. By my calcs i can fill a FedEx 10kg box (a set rate) with batteries or a 25kg box with batteries and a few tools, and get it all here way cheaper than buying it here. FedEx have no problem moving Lithium batteries from what I was told today.

Ta
Ironically I was just going to buy some Dewault 18v batts as the two I have are nearly toast after several years. Drop me a PM and I will help you. I also have a UPS shipping account and they have some shipping coupons for the next couple of weeks, if that can get them to you cheaper.

Ta
I’ll take the #2 position to help you out if needed.

Got a new phone today . Took it to the verizon store because I couldnt get it to load my contacts. I was lucky I had a old phone that still had the contacts in it. Laterly tho, phones dont seem to want to stay around. Got home, with both phones in my shirt pocket and was unloading a saw from back of truck. Well, there was this limb that has been bugging me while mowing so I decided to fire the saw and cut it off before putting the saw up. Gave the cord a pull and the saw fires right up, and my new and old phone flips out of my pocket. Old phone hits running saw chain and new phone hits the ground. Old phone parts laying everywhere, cover here, battery over there and I go ah s###. Well the new phone wasnt hurt and I put the old phone back together and it seems to still work, altho it isnt activated. I guess its time to stop putting my phone in my shirt pocket. I have carried my phone in my shirt pocket since I bought my first candybar phone, never a problem. Now I cant go fishing without the phone wanting to take a swim and I cant trim a tree without the phone diving out on a running saw chain. On a good note, no spam callers for the last few days.

Got a new phone today . Took it to the verizon store because I couldnt get it to load my contacts. I was lucky I had a old phone that still had the contacts in it. Laterly tho, phones dont seem to want to stay around. Got home, with both phones in my shirt pocket and was unloading a saw from back of truck. Well, there was this limb that has been bugging me while mowing so I decided to fire the saw and cut it off before putting the saw up. Gave the cord a pull and the saw fires right up, and my new and old phone flips out of my pocket. Old phone hits running saw chain and new phone hits the ground. Old phone parts laying everywhere, cover here, battery over there and I go ah s###. Well the new phone wasnt hurt and I put the old phone back together and it seems to still work, altho it isnt activated. I guess its time to stop putting my phone in my shirt pocket. I have carried my phone in my shirt pocket since I bought my first candybar phone, never a problem. Now I cant go fishing without the phone wanting to take a swim and I cant trim a tree without the phone diving out on a running saw chain. On a good note, no spam callers for the last few days.
If you get a phone case with some rubberized treads on it, it will stick to cotton shirts a lot better.

I like to carry my phone in pants pockets but the charging ports always get clogged with sawdust and dirt.

Back