Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure you got a strong back from packing one of those around all day.

We developed strong arms and shoulders from cutting softwoods where we reached 8' or more off the ground with a 24" bar on them to cut off branches.. I was tall compared to my dad and uncles we cut with, they had me cut the horse trails, snigging trails, these were to be kept narrow, about 3' to 4' feet wide and a bit higher than our big horses so around 8' would do.

Looking at the parts on the HM ..IPL ..they look the same but there are no part numbers listed, this is due to a clutch change at some time and the numbers were superceded. I think they would interchange but then there is always that small change the eye does not see until an actual part is tried and it either fits and works or it don`t.

Looking at the parts on the HM ..IPL ..they look the same but there are no part numbers listed, this is due to a clutch change at some time and the numbers were superceded. I think they would interchange but then there is always that small change the eye does not see until an actual part is tried and it either fits and works or it don`t.
I have an RA clutch will check it out.
Appreciate the help.

57AFC3D2-E8DC-4098-BB1F-E559A90330E3.jpeg A494D14B-C6BD-4402-A308-C6FF0BAB1825.jpeg
Anyone know a good color match for Pioneer yellow?
Here’s my P25 that I painted with a NAPA rattle can. Under the Easy Arc decal the paint was still very nice, they had numerous paint chips and we were able to find a color that was a good match. I bought this saw when I was a senior in high school, 1973. Most of the paint was gone so I decided to freshen it up, it looks to nice to use so it sits on a shelf in my shop.
Pokey

Hey all. I'm new to this site, and have just come into possession of a P28E that my late father in law had. Hasn't been run in probably 8 years, but I took it out and put some new gas/oil in, and it started right up. Got about half a day out of it, and it started sounding like air was escaping. Took it to the local small engine guy in town, and he said he did a compression test and can't get any compression. Figures its a bad seal somewhere, but I can't find parts around here. I live in central Wisconsin. Is there any hope for this saw? Or is it confined to the parts heap?

A seal has nothing to do with compression.

The saw has an automatic compression release activated when you pull the starter cord. That wouldn't allow a test to show much compression.

I don't know if you are handy with small engines but I would be checking,

The fuel line and filter in the tank for presence and condition.

Check for spark

Squirt some mix in the carb venturi (about a teaspoon) and see if it starts for a few seconds.

The carb could have some crud in the screen causing it to plug.

Same with the fuel filter.

If you are going to attempt to repair it yourself I can send you a pdf copy of a repair manual and a parts list.

Seals are available.

The toughest part to find on those saws is the plastic air filter cover. They are fragile.

A seal has nothing to do with compression.

The saw has an automatic compression release activated when you pull the starter cord. That wouldn't allow a test to show much compression.

I don't know if you are handy with small engines but I would be checking,

The fuel line and filter in the tank for presence and condition.

Check for spark

Squirt some mix in the carb venturi (about a teaspoon) and see if it starts for a few seconds.

The carb could have some crud in the screen causing it to plug.

Same with the fuel filter.

If you are going to attempt to repair it yourself I can send you a pdf copy of a repair manual and a parts list.

Seals are available.

The toughest part to find on those saws is the plastic air filter cover. They are fragile.
Thanks, Tim. I am a little handy with small engines, if not, I know enough rednecks around here to get the help I need. This saw is in pretty good shape. It was more of a homeowner saw than a logging saw. I intend to use it in the same way. It has the original box, with the manual, but I will have to check when I get home to see what it all includes. The air filter cover is intact, I will try and post a picture tonight.

Back