Help, Tree is dead what happened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigwill63

Reaction score
The tree was a type of red or purple colored maple tree I believe. It resided in a pretty wet area between two houses. As you can see in the photos, under the bark there appears to be scarring on the trunk. My wife and I are just trying to figure out why it died because we would like to replace it with another tree. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Southern Lower Michigan.

Thanks
Ryan2019-04-18 08.23.57.jpg 2019-04-18 08.24.02.jpg

I’m no expert but scaring is similar to what you see on ash or elm from larva feeding on the inner bark, killing the tree.

I’m no expert but scaring is similar to what you see on ash or elm from larva feeding on the inner bark, killing the tree.
Is there anything we can do to prevent this in the future? is it OK to plant another tree in this location?

Thanks for your help

You’ll have to find out what insect it was and if it’s prevalent in your area and what type of tree it targets.

What Dahmer said. Are you sure it was a maple? I know they are sensitive to incorrect pruning but haven't seen one that was eaten out under the bark like that. This one is history.
When you figure out what ate it and pick a future tree, get rid of the stone border and get organic mulch out to the drip line.

Back