The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm awaiting a town wide yard sale down by me this weekend, I'm having dreams of mac's littering lawns and garages with some hipster selling cheap because its stinky and oily.
There's a mac 10-10 at a local saw shop thats just sitting ,till I go to the yard sale to see if the deals are better, shop wants 75$ for the 10-10.

I remember a buckin Billy video where he pointed that out and the bigger port on a later pro mac 10-10 and he was saying it went a heap better. How tidy is the $75 saw?
The 75$ saw is complete and I peeked down the carb and the piston looks very good, but there's no plug in the cylinder and its full of old gas and oil with a replacement clutch cover (black wrinkle finish) with dogs, doesn't look like it's been run in a very long time.
So all in all perfect.
Strangely enough the air filter had no felt left on it just screen?

The 75$ saw is complete and I peeked down the carb and the piston looks very good, but there's no plug in the cylinder and its full of old gas and oil with a replacement clutch cover (black wrinkle finish) with dogs, doesn't look like it's been run in a very long time.
So all in all perfect.
Strangely enough the air filter had no felt left on it just screen?

Sounds like a nice lucky dip saw mite run mite not.

If you have a ten series where the fuel weeps out into the air box from around the fuel line, what’s your preferred sealant to solve this?

Well here's the images of the crankshaft and flywheel from when the flywheel key sheared.
I think the crank is probably toast. :( The flywheel looks okay but you can tell where the key had previous sat is now enlarged.

I swear this saw has been cursed. This is the first Mac I've ever owned and it has been an UPHILL battle E-V-E-R-Y step of the way. Just when I think this saw is on top, it's not!

Attachments

• IMG_6433.JPG
    IMG_6433.JPG
    896.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6434.JPG
    IMG_6434.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6438.JPG
    IMG_6438.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6440.JPG
    IMG_6440.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6447.JPG
    IMG_6447.JPG
    579.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6448.JPG
    IMG_6448.JPG
    633.4 KB · Views: 15
Well here's the images of the crankshaft and flywheel from when the flywheel key sheared.
I think the crank is probably toast. :( The flywheel looks okay but you can tell where the key had previous sat is now enlarged.

I swear this saw has been cursed. This is the first Mac I've ever owned and it has been an UPHILL battle E-V-E-R-Y step of the way. Just when I think this saw is on top, it's not!

The key is a locator and gets in the way if the tapered fitting slips. If you assemble the flywheel to the crank with no oil at all on the flywheel and crankshaft tapers, it won't slip. Clean those surfaces with brake cleaner or something similar.

Tapered fittings need to be installed dry. That flywheel will hold but clean the burrs off the crank at the keyway and carefully line the keyways up so you don't alter the timing.

Torque the flywheel nut to 25 ft lbs

The key is a locator and gets in the way if the tapered fitting slips. If you assemble the flywheel to the crank with no oil at all on the flywheel and crankshaft tapers, it won't slip. Clean those surfaces with brake cleaner or something similar.

Tapered fittings need to be installed dry. That flywheel will hold but clean the burrs off the crank at the keyway and carefully line the keyways up so you don't alter the timing.

Torque the flywheel nut to 25 ft lbs

It won't matter that the key sits in there slightly looser?

View attachment 738081
Anyone know how to refrock an air filter?

What has worked very well for me (even better than stock) is to cover that with a piece of hard felt. It's available at craft stores in sheets. Don't get the soft stuff, Glue it down with epoxy around the edges. Hot melt works well in a pinch. It's washable as well.

Never a spec of dust in the carb box.

What has worked very well for me (even better than stock) is to cover that with a piece of hard felt. It's available at craft stores in sheets. Don't get the soft stuff, Glue it down with epoxy around the edges. Hot melt works well in a pinch. It's washable as well.

Never a spec of dust in the carb box.
Thanks I'll try that.

That's better! The first pic must have been of the cylinder wall..., which still looks a bit suspect depending on what the streaks are.
Yeah the wall does look a little streaky, but if this is iron I think I'll roll with it , I can't remember the manufacturer but in the 50s there was a car engine produced in America that left the factory without enuff crosshatch in the cylinder so the manufacturer sent out a (special oil) to the dealerships with abrasives in the oil worked well cars stopped smoking , scored the cylinders.

Back