Raker/Depth Gauge File

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigiron

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Granberg file guide and looking for recommendations for a flat or triangular file for the rakers.

I have a Granberg file guide and looking for recommendations for a flat or triangular file for the rakers.

What kind of chain (gauge/pitch/brand) are you filing? The husky roller guides actually work surprisingly well on husqvarna and oregon chain. Stihl file guides work well on everything. They're all cheap enough to experiment. Make sure you get one that aligns with the right raker setting for your chain! 0.025" is typical, I think.

I don't think that a regular flat file will fit a Granberg. And the 'triangular' files sold for square ground chain are expensive. I suppose that any decent hardware store triangular file (e.g. Nicholson) would work as long as the cutting surfaces are flat.

When I used the Granberg type filing jigs I would just do the depth gauges with a standard depth gauge tool and flat file.

photo 7.jpg

Phibert.

I've had a Pferd [urlhttps://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b0106P.html]Chain Sharp[/url] for several years. Tried it initially, but at that time I admittedly sucked at hand sharpening - was looking for a crutch. It didn't help. Since I've gotten much better at hand filing. A friend said they don't use anything but a combo file (Stihl). I decided to break out the Chain Sharp again and have been very happy with the results - been using it for a couple of weeks now and thinking it is my new "go to".

Back