A good price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_6268.jpg husky 550xp as a " parts saw" produced in 2013 only needs a coil to the best of my knowledge

what's the value??????? i will look at piston, have good compression but when it last ran it just shut down i checked right then no spark

$200 at most to me. being that old, it will probly need at least updates, probably a newer carb/coil available for it. i dont remember if they updated the case halves on this or not like the 562...

I don’t mind putting a little money into collecting older chainsaws. If I buy them at affordable prices. I like sitting and working on them. Even crankseals, gaskets and a piston isn’t much considering what that cost new but being scored doesn’t mean the cylinder on these older saws is scrap. About 90% of the time they either run ok, or the carb needs cleaning. I purchased more used runners than non runners. I think the 266se, 266xp, 268, 268xp, 162se, 162, 262xp are over looked by many. The older 240se, 340se are the greats of decades ago. If you find any of these that run your golden. Even a set of rings and top gaskets will bring up the compression. If your not cutting professionally then going this route is the way to go.

I normal average homeowner doesn’t spend a $1,000 on a chain saw. I spent $1200 on two new huskys in the beginning because I was dedicated in burning wood living on top of a mountain with no access like in the blizzard of ‘78. If the power went out we’d be frozen in three days. In ‘79 predicting the future I purchased a woodstove and started cutting wood. And been burning to the present day. I never looked at the cost it was the thought of the cold if the power went out with little kids looking at me for answers. Our kids do learn from us.

These older saws when they were new paid my bills, put food on my table and kept me working. If you take care of them. For three decades plus my saws were kept sharp ready to go between jobs and with no job. We can survive.

It’s ok to haggle too. Some do haggle, some get pizz’d off. They don’t know how to haggle.

I found a used, complete husky 575 for $375. I haggled down to $150. Unflooded it and she ran awesome. Bartered it for a bud mag base drill on Craig’s list. I had a new 575xp already.

At flea markets it’s good to have a backup plan. If the seller gets mad and won’t haggle I send the kid over there with the same price and he sells it to the kid so I don’t get it. I love it. Playing the game.

It looks really nice. Hard to put a price on it not knowing what it needs. I would check prices on a new carb and coil and dealer cost to get it reflashed and go from there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Need more pics of saw and piston. Looks clean. If buying used try and get coil with carb module. Did you try a different spark plug?

View attachment 737522 husky 550xp as a " parts saw" produced in 2013 only needs a coil to the best of my knowledge

what's the value??????? i will look at piston, have good compression but when it last ran it just shut down i checked right then no spark
Check with your dealer, many Husqvarna coils have a lifetime replacement.

Hey sjp. I recently repaired one of these that had lost spark. It turned out to be the plug wire had rubbed on a cylinder fin until it rubbed through the insulation. I installed 3 layers of heat shrink wrap on the wire and it was good as new again!

Lightly used saw with a problem and you know how to rebuild it, can save you substantial amount of money.

Normally a very good point, but not in this case.
This exact type (early 550) can be a money pit.
Not very reliable and a lot of updates. Which makes finding the exact part hard and expensive.

And ofcourse a load of people have one that is milling non stop since the seventies.
But according to the dealers who sell and repair the things, they are less interesting to repair that the new price would expect.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Normally a very good point, but not in this case.
This exact type (early 550) can be a money pit.
Not very reliable and a lot of updates. Which makes finding the exact part hard and expensive.

And ofcourse a load of people have one that is milling non stop since the seventies.
But according to the dealers who sell and repair the things, they are less interesting to repair that the new price would expect.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk
I have one of those 562's with an el46 carb that everyone says is junk. Never has given me a problem, even after being ported. Also have rebuilt several of those 550's and most have just never been cleaned, bad fuel,or used to power a log stripper. Running saws at half throttle is hard on them, when running those strippers.

Put it on ebay and it might get 300 plus in a bidding war. Seen that with a few 550s that were completely junk on eBay.

Put it on ebay and it might get 300 plus in a bidding war. Seen that with a few 550s that were completely junk on eBay.
It is absolutely insane what some saws bring on eBay. I've seen several 346xp sell for more than they cost brand new.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

A properly functioning 550xp is possibly the best performing 50cc pro saw ever made. Husky pushed the boundaries hard with that saw when it came out. Evidently too hard as the latest saw does not meet its spec. I have 2 standard carb MS261's for the 'work', but its nice to have a little hot rod in the corner for those times you seek a buzz. My ported MS261's won't spool up & limb like my stock 550 does, period. Besides girlie tech's are scared of repairing the 'nightmare computer saw' so they can be had for peanuts. Just wish you could get a OEM set of dual dawgs/roller catcher for them & they didn't roll over when sat down. Many design features that were 'firsts' to be done are in the early 5 series which are now adopted by other brands. I wish more pro saws were taken taken edge as there the saws we really like to run ie 7900 681 462 064 200t 346 5000 etc. The OP's saw was probably bought for 1-$200....did he really waste his money....really?

Back