peach tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william b

Reaction score
hi.....new here, first time post......
I live in new orleans, la. and for the past several years I have had a small peach tree in my front yard. Every year, it produces quite a few peaches and is always a hit in the neighborhood with walkers passing by and taking a couple. Also my wife loves to cook with them. Here is my problem.....I am not at all a tree guy.
The tree, over the last few years, has become, almost dead on one side. I have long branches that come out with limbs, but no new growth at all, and just dead. Now if I was to cut these branches off, the tree will be, quite literally, one half of tree.....all the green branches with leaves and peaches to one side and zippo on the other. I haven't cut them as the tree would look silly with just one half. I would hate to cut it down, but I just don't know what else to do. Is it possible for me to splice in a living branch from one side to the other? And then remove all the dead stuff? Would that work? Or should I just say goodbye to it and cut it down? It's become a family thing now so I hate to get rid of it, but it looks ridiculous. Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated. The tree is approximately eight to ten feet tall....I have kept it short so we can reach the peaches. Thank you again.
Bill
New Orleans

You have a dilemma. Are the peaches (and the pleasure you get from those peaches) worth more or less than the aesthetic of the tree? We can't answer that question, because everyone's sense of aesthetic is different. Personally, the fact that the tree has a dead side is of no consequence to me if the other side is producing well.

If you want trees that look ridiculous, go to a commercial orchard.

Maybe you just need to reset your eye.

Back