so how do you get saw chips out of socks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it is 80 F plus I put on my shorts and do not think about long pants. I cut about 25 cords last summer and got some pretty good rays. Taped up the home made gaiters and plenty of sunscreen. At 6,000 sun feels pretty intense. It helped to start at 5 AM though. I do not cut much brush or limbs so knee pads and shorts can work well. Its has been five years since I saw another person anywhere near my forest cutting area so fashion is not much of a concern. Thanks

8 inch boots , overalls and a good overlap of boot to pant chaps over that that over lap the boot also.

I cut with a hoodie on some times , I was storing wedges in it one day , at the end of the day I realized I had about a gallon bucket of saw chip in my pocket

if I wear my belt with load bearing suspenders I have 2 tool pockets that hold wedges and a hammer loop for my ax , it is a GI pistol belt with the combat suspenders the belt keeps the kangaroo pocket closed and the bottom of my sweatshirt down.

I still get some , you always get some

turn everything inside out and shake it outside before washing only wash your saw cloths in that load , also I designate just a few pair of pants as saw pants because I end up with bar oil on the cuffs.

I take everything out of my pockets before I start cutting and put it in the truck, because when you open your wallet to pay for something and saw chip spills out everywhere , anywhere besides at the saw shop they don't understand.

I try and avoid cutting above 60

I was reading the replies and see you beat me to it
Only I was going to say "Go Commando"

Yup.
Saw in the nude like I always do.

It also works to keep the women and children away from the work area.:cool:

Well, the pretty women, anyway. :(

Some of these also help keep out ticks, in certain parts of the country.

Philbert

We have a bad tick problem where I live. I routinely pull them off of the dogs and often from myself during the night while trying to sleep. Never hard of ticks crawling up into your boots or shoes, they've always fallen or crawled onto me.

We have a bad tick problem where I live. I routinely pull them off of the dogs and often from myself during the night while trying to sleep. Never hard of ticks crawling up into your boots or shoes, they've always fallen or crawled onto me.
I used to find them on my legs sometimes when I worked in the woods (surveying, not sawing).
Worst tick problem I ever had was doing one of those 'adopt a highway' clean up events, where we were walking in the tall grass between the pavement and right-of-way fence. Got absolutely covered in ticks. Grass was never more than mid-thigh high, so they had to crawl up or jump! Won't do that again without taped pant cuffs and DEET.

Philbert

For ticks spray your outer clothing with Permethrin and let dry repeat every 6 weeks or 6 washings . Used to find ticks all the time before. None since doing this the last 3 years . Before 2 a day was common.

You can buy the concentrate in the vetranary section at any farm store.use the concentration for washing dogs and cows. About 15 dollars a quart and it makes like 30 gallons. I mix a 2 gallon sprayer each spring maybe a second late summer depending on how much I am out.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

My lint collector on the dryer always has chips in it once the warmer weather rolls around. Risky or not I don't wear pants when cutting in the open. I am rarely in the woods once the trees blossom.

My lint collector on the dryer always has chips in it once the warmer weather rolls around. Risky or not I don't wear pants when cutting in the open. I am rarely in the woods once the trees blossom.
Same here 99% of my cutting is done out in a field and logs are almost always held waist high with the forks of the tractor. I'm out there all summer even when the temps are in the 90's.

I never wear shorts when cutting. Ever. Certainly not if in the woods/timber and even out in the open just too many things waiting to tear up exposed skin. Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

me, neither! shorts dress-of-the-day down here when working outside... heat! unless sawing or weed wacking... I did cut some minor stuff other day in shorts... wide stance, no chips... but as a rule... full chip barrier protection always required for my cutting. big stuff, chaps, too!

Back