Value of Carlton 4400-4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozbornj

Reaction score
I am looking at a Carlton 4400-4 stump grinder.
I am seeing them priced anywhere from $8000-$18000.
This particular unit is a 2000 model with 1700 hours and remote. Been converted to Greenteeth.
What would be a fair price for this machine? He is at $16k on it.

A major difference would be the horsepower as this machine was sold with either 44hp or 60hp Deutz engine. If it has the 60hp, I would say $14,000 to $16,000 isn't a bad price. If it has the 44hp, I would say $12,000 to $14,000. I would ask if the valves have ever been adjusted as they were to be done at 1,000 hours.

If you buy the machine, I'm a GreenTeeth dealer located in Atlanta, and I can have the teeth to you in 2 days.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

It is a 44 hp not 60. He has no idea if valves have been done. Also he is running 1100 series teeth so they need swapping 700 or 900 series.
It’s also been painted so no clue what could be under that. Machine is clean and operates good. I just feel it’s too high and was looking for opinions.
I plan to purchase from you as you come highly recommended everywhere I look.

I would recommend the 900's as it will help instead of 1100's. I would also ask about the timing belt as it's rubber and can become dry rotted. The timing belt kit is about $325 and that doesn't include labor. If the timing belt goes out, it can blow the engine. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Timing belt us not been done that he knows of.
Another reason I’m scared of the price. Not wanting to rebuilt the engine.
He did swap the drive belt a year ago and swapped cutter bearings. But that is all.

Be careful on these old ones - a couple things that must be taken care of. 1st - and most important - are the jackshaft bearings pillow block style where all 4 are carrying the speed of the jackshaft or are they flange type where only the outside 2 carry the jackshaft and the inside 2 carry the vertical boom movement? If it is the 1st type - STAY AWAY. The second thing that is important is the outboard bearing on the engine drive pulley -- has it been changed over to the Hayes type drive setup? If it has the old flange bearing support this will need to be changed - $1,500. Don't worry too much about the timing belt - yes it needs to be changed but as long you do it before it breaks it shouldn't be more than $400 tops. Post photos of the machine

Back